Thread: NVIDIA Releases GeForce GTX 200 GPUs

Default NVIDIA Releases GeForce GTX 200 GPUs

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases GeForce GTX 200 GPUs

As expected, today NVIDIA unveiled their GeForce GTX 200 family of graphics processors. At this time their family is a bit small with only the GeForce GTX 260 and GTX 280 being shown off, but the GTX family should grown soon...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjUyNw

To all those people who buy them and use Linux; Welcome to horrible 2D performance

GTX 280: 50% faster than 9800 GTX with common resolutions and 2.75x more expensive?

RV770, here I come!

What's the point of getting such a high performance GFX card as there is no UT3 client for linux yet ?!?

Anyway, there is also no drivers for these new cards, nor there is open-source support.
    So, to be clear : no real linux support, no business with me.

So, what's next ? Buy an HD 48xx or 38xx for playing teewars ?? At least, this game should be smooth on a twin 30" display ! No, there is Quake Wars and X3 is coming soon.

I'll go for a new computer, including ATI GFX because of their open source support as soon as there is a good game that my current computer can't handle such as UT3...
    Last edited by Fixxer_Linux; 06-16-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    What's the point of getting such a high performance GFX card as there is no UT3 client for linux yet ?!?
    Cuda support.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Cuda support.
    True. But I think there is more customers to play UT3 than customers to program/use something with CUDA.
    UT3 is more fun also, but that's another story !

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    True. But I think there is more customers to play UT3 than customers to program/use something with CUDA.
    UT3 is more fun also, but that's another story !
    That would be debatable, the scientific community, the folding community, and the "consumer" segment that wants high performance mutimedia applications would dwarf the the amount of linux gamers I would suspect.

Nvidia admits that most of those 60,000 cuda developers are “playing” with CUDA trying to create “consumer applications.”

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    GTX 280: 50% faster than 9800 GTX with common resolutions and 2.75x more expensive?

RV770, here I come!
    Amen! Here the 280 is set to cost over $800 (I've seen them at $900...) that's just plain silly.