Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 285

Thread: LGP Introduces Linux Game Copy Protection

  1. #161
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stan.distortion View Post
    It is an awful lot of money but it makes the assumption that all of those downloads equate to lost sales. Aside from folks DL'ing the game that may later buy it I would be surprised if 10% of the number DL'ing would but it instead if there was no way of getting the DL'ed copy to work. That 'only' equates to $125000 which in real terms only equates to a shiny new Merc for the CEO, and they tend to get through at least one a year
    10% you must be joking right? 10% of what was being download from one torrent site one one day? Pull the other one it's got bells on it.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    I agree there are a lot of assumptions but consider, if only the pirated copies had been the ones of that day and that site (ha!) it would still have cost ubisoft over $1.25 million (25000 people leeching * $50 a game) I don't care how you look at it that's an awful lot of money.
    That's a pretty big assumption that all those pirates would have bought the game otherwise. Pirates are like packrats. They download alot of stuff just for the sake of downloading it. If I stand outside and hand beer out for free it doesn't mean that everybody that grabbed a beer would have bought one.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    That's a pretty big assumption that all those pirates would have bought the game otherwise. Pirates are like packrats. They download alot of stuff just for the sake of downloading it. If I stand outside and hand beer out for free it doesn't mean that everybody that grabbed a beer would have bought one.
    Considering it's only the numbers from one site on one day you can also assume far more people downloaded it then the figure I used. I know it's not an accurate number but it shows the effect.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    Considering it's only the numbers from one site on one day you can also assume far more people downloaded it then the figure I used. I know it's not an accurate number but it shows the effect.
    Also, one can argue by having the game pirated and allowing people to play the single player game the chances of the person who grabbed the pirated version going out and purchase the game go up, so they can play it online after they have a good feel for the game.

  5. #165

    Default

    That's a pretty big assumption that all those pirates would have bought the game otherwise. Pirates are like packrats. They download alot of stuff just for the sake of downloading it. If I stand outside and hand beer out for free it doesn't mean that everybody that grabbed a beer would have bought one.
    I'll second that, the hard drive industry gets a lot of business from folks who just buy them to fill them up with 'free' stuff that may never even get used. I screwed up with the 'surprised bit, I would expect about 10% to buy a game when they cant get it to work. There is also the assumption that those downloads will be complete in only a few days, that assumes they have the bandwith to do it and that there are enough seeders to get high speeds. Not everyone has the kind of connection where you can watch the bar move on a 4gb download and most of the folks filling up their HD's with 'free' stuff are leeches and hide it away where no one else can get it.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    The Impact of Music Downloads and P2P File-Sharing on the Purchase of Music: A Study for Industry Canada



    http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/site/..._ip01456e.html

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070212-8813.html

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Pirate is clearly killing LGP

    This PROVES piracy is KILLING LGP

    from private torrent tracked I am not going to tell at lest yeat:

    Added on Sunday, Apr 27, 2008
    X2 the threat 158 downloads 4 seeds 4 leechers

    Added on Sunday, Sep 10, 2006
    Postal2-Linux 4261 downloads 7 seeds 1 leechers

    Added on Monday, Sep 04, 2006
    Majesty Gold Edition 549 downloads 1 seeds 0 leechers

    those was LGP games and

    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for Linux[Eng] (made by Loki)added on same date as
    X2 the threat had 268 downloads so that means...

    Good bye LGP... damn pirate fools seem to hiding somewhere since there
    must be around 11 LPL titles without torrents or pirates are just hiding their
    evil doings well or I can't just find them.

    and yes it's "nearly" like 25000 people leeching

  8. #168
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Also, one can argue by having the game pirated and allowing people to play the single player game the chances of the person who grabbed the pirated version going out and purchase the game go up, so they can play it online after they have a good feel for the game.
    Assassins creed a just single player so no people wont go buy it for the multiplayer.

    I screwed up with the 'surprised bit, I would expect about 10% to buy a game when they cant get it to work.
    Ah that seems more sane I would agree about 10% of those download might turn into sales.

    Not everyone has the kind of connection where you can watch the bar move on a 4gb download and most of the folks filling up their HD's with 'free' stuff are leeches and hide it away where no one else can get it.
    You can assume that at least 25k people finished the download without fretting to much.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killertux View Post
    This PROVES piracy is KILLING LGP

    from private torrent tracked I am not going to tell at lest yeat:

    Added on Sunday, Apr 27, 2008
    X2 the threat 158 downloads 4 seeds 4 leechers

    Added on Sunday, Sep 10, 2006
    Postal2-Linux 4261 downloads 7 seeds 1 leechers

    Added on Monday, Sep 04, 2006
    Majesty Gold Edition 549 downloads 1 seeds 0 leechers

    those was LGP games and

    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri for Linux[Eng] (made by Loki)added on same date as
    X2 the threat had 268 downloads so that means...

    Good bye LGP... damn pirate fools seem to hiding somewhere since there
    must be around 11 LPL titles without torrents or pirates are just hiding their
    evil doings well or I can't just find them.

    and yes it's "nearly" like 25000 people leeching
    That doesn't prove anything. You have no way of even proving that had those been anything but free that they would have sold them. People don't buy for many reasons which I will not rehash here as they have been pointed out many times.

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    90

    Default

    That's a pretty big assumption that all those pirates would have bought the game otherwise.
    It's also a big assumption that those that pirated it would have bought it if they couldn't download it. Also, there's no statistics to say how many of those downloads completed, or how long they took, or how many are duplicated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •