Thread: FlashROM 0.9.6 Released For Open-Source BIOS Flashing

Default FlashROM 0.9.6 Released For Open-Source BIOS Flashing

Phoronix: FlashROM 0.9.6 Released For Open-Source BIOS Flashing

FlashROM 0.9.6 has been released, which is an open-source utility for reading/writing/erasing/validating flash ROM chips for BIOS/UEFI/CoreBoot/Firmware/ROM images on motherboards and other devices...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE1NzI

NVIDIA MCP65 still untested aka unsupported. Nvidia is the single worst company I have ever bought products from and will never do so again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g&t=0m10s

Worked fine on my XFX MB-N680-ILT, although i don't remember what MCP model it has (sold the board to some one else 2 dayes ago).

I find about a 50% success rate for running that software. It ALWAYS complains about *something* not being right "and this will probably bork the fuck out of your system". On hardware where it works, it works, but without exception, the hardware anyone HAS is "untested", hence only actually works 50% of the time. Sometimes "untested" == "works". Sometimes "untested" == "notworks".

Most of the time, it borks BEFORE wiping the chip. Once it didn't -- it wiped the chip and left it in a very dead state. Fortunately, that laptop had a removable bios and I happened to have another identical unit, took them both thoroughly apart, plugged all the PIECES of one together so that it would run open, boot on dos bios disk, pry out the working eeprom, pop in the non-working eeprom, flash successfully.

If you use flashrom, be prepared for bad things to happen.

There's still going to be some bugs/glitches so people should inform the flashrom developers of any issues encountered so that they can look into it. Flashrom sounds very promising but its best to use the recommended flashing program on newer hardware to reduce risk of unrecoverable damage

flashrom is really good. I used it to recovery my Asus P8Z68-V to program a new firmware just with mac adress changed (offset $1000). Informer i used it to flash several older systems, mainly via/sis boards. I usually used a new svn checkout but for my new board even the wheezy version is enough.

I don't remember ever hearing about flashrom. The only third-party BIOS flashing tool I've used is UniFlash on FreeDOS.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_ View Post
    NVIDIA MCP65 still untested aka unsupported. Nvidia is the single worst company I have ever bought products from and will never do so again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g&t=0m10s
    You shouldn't read that as unsupported- if it's unsupported, it will say so, and if you shouldn't touch it, flashrom will stop you.