Page 51 of 114 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1134

Thread: Put the wish list for porting projects HERE...

  1. #501
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Um, what OS does Blizard run on their servers? Windows?

  2. #502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAB View Post
    Um, what OS does Blizard run on their servers? Windows?
    Do you want to explain how that increases their probability of porting games to Linux?

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Do you want to explain how that increases their probability of porting games to Linux?
    Do you want to explain how a company that is rabidly hostile to Linux can bear to use it on their infrastructure?

  4. #504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieAB View Post
    Do you want to explain how a company that is rabidly hostile to Linux can bear to use it on their infrastructure?
    If you must know, even Microsoft uses Linux for some of its facilities. Being hostile to Linux users does not mean they don't use it.

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    And even Microsoft have sections that aren't utterly opposed to Linux. The MS Office section are supposed to have suggested that the simplest way to secure the monopoly on Office suites on the desktop would be a Linux port. The slightly scary thing here is, they would have been right.

    Blizard can see the point of using Linux for there servers, can see the advantages, but due to history are not going to argue the point with a publisher who wants to nix Linux as a platform.

    They don't come across as hostile to Linux per se, more hostile to the kind of idiots who created the FreeCraft fiasco, most of whom, it must be noted, were on the Linux side of that row. The problem is those are the voices everyone hears. If ambiguity has caused problems for them in the past, they are going to take a hard stance now. Look at the UT3 thread for an example: Easier to say "Hell, NO!" and maybe deliver than to say "Maybe" or "Sounds good" and not.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Using Linux server side does not mean you are Linux friendly. If you use Linux server side you have only one client ( yourself ) to support. It's a defined environment. Only your tech gurus temper with the system. A Linux client though is out in the wild on possibly thousands of systems on various distributions, kernels and user knowledge levels. That's a different shoe altogether.

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    If they had the time, talent and resources to create a "free" version of starcraft or warcraft, dunno which, why name it "FreeCraft", why clone the blizzard game? Why didnt they just come up with their own free/open source RTS game, and play it. Maybe blizzard wouldve copied them instead.

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Because of what he said: "they had been morons". No idea why attacking them heads in such a way when there are more subtle ( and better hitting ) ways.

  9. #509

    Default

    Listen, I'm not here to talk about whether Blizzard is friendly or not to Linux. All I care about are the publishers that do port, not debating about Blizzard over what not.

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Using Linux server side does not mean you are Linux friendly. If you use Linux server side you have only one client ( yourself ) to support. It's a defined environment. Only your tech gurus temper with the system. A Linux client though is out in the wild on possibly thousands of systems on various distributions, kernels and user knowledge levels. That's a different shoe altogether.
    And even that is arguable, as you can ensure your binaries are statically linked, for instance, and not necessarily too embedded or require too many system-side libraries (so long as your file type and binary layers are understood by the kernel, I don't see Linux straying away from ELF any time soon)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •