Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ubuntu's BulletProofX To Be Canned?

Not 'should' but 'should be able to'. Because I then get better support for this tool, and you do too. And you paradoxically seem to be keen on making it not usable, while helping people with it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Not 'should' but 'should be able to'. Because I then get better support for this tool, and you do too. And you paradoxically seem to be keen on making it not usable, while helping people with it anyway.
    I don't believe that all tools should be able to be used by everyone. Cars are tools but, frankly, some people are so stupid they shouldn't be allowed to drive them :-)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Hey, I'm sure that thing doesn't come with gentoo or slackware or whatever other non-n00b distro you use. Why does it bother you?
    No, I've been using ubuntu since Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog).

You don't seem to understand that "usability" does not equal "ease of use"

Yes, bulletproofX made it easier to solve problems IN SOME CASES, but overall it created the same kind of hard to solve problems that made me move away from windows to begin with.

Also it makes it harder to provide support to new users, because it makes things harder to dagnose.

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    We've been over this. I'd like BulletProofX to do the right thing and backup a copy of the helpful /var/log/Xorg.0.log file.

Barring that, then yes I'd prefer that a few users get offended by being dropped to a TTY, complain to Ubuntu, and a better solution get developed as a result.

Adam
    I agree on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    I guess we just have different ideas on mind for linux. I see it as a tool I can use. You see it as a tool everyone should use.

Adam
    As a follow up to what adam said, You should stop thinking about what some "hypthetical" users might do once they run into a simple issue.

Just for the record, I HAPPEN TO BE A GODDAMN USER TOO YOU KNOW, I TOO COULD JUST MOVE BACK TO WINDOWS.

Just because you're OK with starting at a terminal after an upgrade or install, it doesn't mean everybody is.

A 800x600 res with a mouse is a lot better than a terminal with no proper introduction.