Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalyst 8.7

Quote Originally Posted by Vighy View Post
    Mhh it was not yesterday.... so it will be the next week
    No Problem the Catalyst 8.6 works fine vor me so i can wait

I tried the Catalyst 8-6 drivers with my new 3200 IPG (780G mobo) and got a white screen of death. I went back to radeonHD and at least mode-setting works if no acceleration. I'm a patient man, and will wait for the radeonHD team to bang away at the registers.
    Last edited by DanL; 07-17-2008 at 08:46 PM.

with Catalyst 8.6 the performance on fgl_glxgears are very bad.

Catalyst 8.5: 300 fps
    Catalyst 8.6: 75 fps

The 3D work but the performance are bad.

Last year I have read that AMD will give a Linux driver who give the same performance than the Windows driver... Is it for Jully 2008? for Jully 2030?...

Quote Originally Posted by pierluc View Post
    with Catalyst 8.6 the performance on fgl_glxgears are very bad.

Catalyst 8.5: 300 fps
    Catalyst 8.6: 75 fps

The 3D work but the performance are bad.

Last year I have read that AMD will give a Linux driver who give the same performance than the Windows driver... Is it for Jully 2008? for Jully 2030?...
    Numbers like that indicate that you have are running with vsync on. Go into CCCLE and look for the vsync options.

Regards,

Matthew

Iím really looking forward to this new driver release and hope its coming out soon.

So far, I have only been able to install Catalyst 8.6 on Arch Linux, but not to change the screen resolution (to 1152x864 @ 100Hz Ė I donít think thatís something extraordinary!).

On Zenwalk I couldnít install the driver at all, neither on kernel 2.5, nor 2.6. I have checked the net for the several error messages I got due my process in trying to get the drivers to work and it seems like its back to applying patches and compiling the kernel just to get a graphics card driver to work (reminds me of my time when I was still using a Radeon 9800 and why I have changed to nVidia).

In games on Windows the new HD4870 is a blast, which is why I really like to keep this card. But its frustrating to see that momentarily thatís really the only way my new rig is workable.

Since I still have a week time to return the new card I hope the driver is coming out in the next couple of days because I really want to give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Janusz11 View Post
    Iím really looking forward to this new driver release and hope its coming out soon.

So far, I have only been able to install Catalyst 8.6 on Arch Linux, but not to change the screen resolution (to 1152x864 @ 100Hz Ė I donít think thatís something extraordinary!).

On Zenwalk I couldnít install the driver at all, neither on kernel 2.5, nor 2.6. I have checked the net for the several error messages I got due my process in trying to get the drivers to work and it seems like its back to applying patches and compiling the kernel just to get a graphics card driver to work (reminds me of my time when I was still using a Radeon 9800 and why I have changed to nVidia).

In games on Windows the new HD4870 is a blast, which is why I really like to keep this card. But its frustrating to see that momentarily thatís really the only way my new rig is workable.

Since I still have a week time to return the new card I hope the driver is coming out in the next couple of days because I really want to give it another try.
    Remember that they do not support their driver on those platforms.
    I've got problems too: Xorg hangs when closed, but I don't complain since I'm not on a supported platform.

I will check if the problem is mine, or it's the driver, but as long as I'm not sure, I don't complain.

I know you may say that suse, or fedora suck, (I don't think it, even if I use gentoo) but they're the best way at the moment to make Catalyst work for sure and as expected.

But don't worry, on Wednesday the driver should be out.

Just for the record, my X1600 works just as fast on Linux as on Windows when playing Nexuiz
    I'm sorry that there are still people who suffer these kinds of problems at every new driver release... I, for myself, are forced to stay at 8.4 for now as 8.5 & 8.6 can't do 3d on a second x server for me.

However, I REALLY hope they finally fixed their damn Wine bug!
    (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13335)

Quote Originally Posted by mtippett View Post
    Numbers like that indicate that you have are running with vsync on. Go into CCCLE and look for the vsync options.

Regards,

Matthew
    Where is this option on the Catalyst Control Panel?

Where is this option on the Catalyst Control Panel?
    3D -> More Settings -> Wait for vertical refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vighy View Post
    I will check if the problem is mine, or it's the driver, but as long as I'm not sure, I don't complain.
    Remove atieventsd from your list of progs and xorg will be able to normally shutdown.