Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Carmack On Rage & Doom 4 For Linux

Hybrid View

Default John Carmack On Rage & Doom 4 For Linux

I emailed John Carmack of iD Software to see whether or not they intended to release both Rage and Doom 4 on Linux. He responded:

It isn't a launch platform for us, but an executable may still show up.

Anyways, I figured that some of you may have been interested in this so I figured I'd post this here. For those who didn't see the new E3 trailer for Rage, you can view that here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-bNDwatKU

Also according to John Carmack (from a small interview), as good as Rage looks, while Doom 4 runs on the same engine, it is suppose to look a lot better. Details on that can be found here:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53713

EA is not iD Software's publisher so I'm not sure if that little fact will hinder any Linux port developments.

It better show up. At least, before EA buys out Id.

Quote Originally Posted by xav1r View Post
    Not likely... If anything, Blizzard/Activision/VU will do that since they already have a relationship there...

Who was it that said iD could do anything they saw fit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Heh... Are YOU going to tell one of the mainline Independent studios that can self-publish if they so saw fit, take it to ANY publisher they see fit to do so, that they CAN'T do what they've done? I wouldn't, even if I was Vivendi. It's just not a good thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Now those are some news, indeed! Activision is also the publisher of choice for id and they don't mind them releasing their games commercially for Linux (nor their engines as GPL code)
    Oh right. You. ^_^

at the post before

Quote Originally Posted by me262 View Post
    Who was it that said iD could do anything they saw fit?

Oh right. You. ^_^
    And, until they're bought out, they will continue to do so- and perhaps AFTERWARDS. John Carmack's got an interesting take on cross-platformness- views it as critical to ensure there's less busted code in their engine and the titles they do with it. He's not wavered in that since early on. Moreover, he's done work for the FOSS community in the past- important stuff. I know, I worked on the same project with him, Gareth Hughes, and others. It's where we had our first FOSS GLX driver framework.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 07-21-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling error...were != where... ;-)

Which is why I'm surprised that some map editors aren't released on Linux.
    I bet we could do some real interesting things if we could just get some kind of map editor. (An embedded random generator for some kind of randomized maze level. Sure it may be some kind of security hole that'll get patched in the next version, but until then, it's an interesting battle.)
    It's good to see that at least one company has faith in us for coming up with fixes and new ways to tinker.
    It's also nice that we have people who care about this community willing to do things with and for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by xav1r View Post
    Don't joke about stuff like that

Any recent news on rage/doom4 and linux ?

Quote Originally Posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    Any recent news on rage/doom4 and linux ?
    Rage uses steamworks, Doom 4 probably will as well. Figure it out.