Thread: Problem with ati drivers /w a 9600

Default Problem with ati drivers /w a 9600

Hello Everyone!

I was sent this way by dennis at mythdora.com, he said you guys were the experts when it came to linux video driver so I'm here to seek your assistance!

http://www.mythdora.com/?q=node/3658

You can get most of the info there but after fighting with the ati drivers for a while I have them working but my cpu usage problem has stayed the same. This is a mythtv frontend box running mythdora (fedora+mythtv on one dvd).

the drivers I'm using right now are ATI Catalyst™ 8.6 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver.

Well I took it off my workbench, hooked it up to the tv and all was going well till I tried to play a video and got terrible lagg again. Just sitting in recorded programs uses ~20% cpu (16% is mythfrontend) then as soon as I open a video X jumps to 86%.

fglrxinfo at xterm
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI RADEON 9600 Series
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7659 Release

glxinfo | grep direct
    direct rendering: Yes

rpm -qa | grep fglrx
    nothing

remember this was working perfectly on md4, and transfers across the wired network at ~11MB.

anybody got any ideas?

I didn't see your x log and conf files pasted anywhere; can you stick them up on pastebin or something ?

From the other thread it looks like the kernel module isn't initializing right so you aren't getting any acceleration (hence the high CPU utilization).

The freeze-up while downloading sounds odd though, like maybe something else in your system got toasted by the lightning strike ?

Which driver were you running before ? Reading between the lines it sounds like you were running radeon ?