Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Linux Gaming Arcade Machine Thing!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default Linux Gaming Arcade Machine Thing!

    A totally 100% open source Ubuntu Arcade Game Machine Thing!













    Specs are a 2.2 Ghz AMD 64, Soundblaster 24 bit, 4.1 sound, Nvidia 9600GT, 1 GB Ram, 80 GB HD, 24" Widescreen, and a few other things.

    I'm kind of an Ubuntu noob, so any feedback would be very very much appreciated. I hope to sell this thing so I can work on the next model

    My Facebook if anyone wants to see the whole thing in detail from start to finish.

    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...10&ref=profile

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,645

    Default

    Looks pretty cool, what games do you play with it? I guess with a trackball you have got no chance with online shooters.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Looks pretty cool, what games do you play with it? I guess with a trackball you have got no chance with online shooters.
    I am one of those rare, weird people who prefer a trackball to a mouse for FPS'ers, there's plenty of room for a mouse tho. I've been mostly playing Sauerbraten, Enemy Territory, and ET: Quake Wars.

    I have a wheel on order so hopefully that plays pretty good with Ubuntu, I'll know in a couple of days.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto/North Bay Canada
    Posts
    877

    Default

    just doesnt work well with pc games unfortunately. If you had a wheel it would be nice but as of now few decent racing games exist on linux.

    Looks cool tho.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisrada View Post
    I am one of those rare, weird people who prefer a trackball to a mouse for FPS'ers, there's plenty of room for a mouse tho.
    Heh... You're not the only one of those sorts out there...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Hahaha!! We ought to start a club!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Awesome. Are there any cockpit flight games on Linux that one could play? I'd love to play one. I've got a Logitech flight joystick that isn't getting any love due to Descent I-III, Freespace I-II, and the rest not working on Vista or loading correctly in Wine. I'd love to give this sucker a whirl with a great Space Shooter.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDorfler View Post
    Awesome. Are there any cockpit flight games on Linux that one could play? I'd love to play one. I've got a Logitech flight joystick that isn't getting any love due to Descent I-III, Freespace I-II, and the rest not working on Vista or loading correctly in Wine. I'd love to give this sucker a whirl with a great Space Shooter.
    Vega Strike seems o.k., but I'd rather just fly around and dogfight rather than have to navigate dozens of systems and find missions. The privateer remake is decent tho for just flying around and shooting people.

    http://happypenguin.org/show?Private...emake&start=10

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    104

    Default

    IIRC the code (but not the data) for some of the Descent games was made available. So there might be a Linux (or Vista) port that you can use.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
    IIRC the code (but not the data) for some of the Descent games was made available. So there might be a Linux (or Vista) port that you can use.
    http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/?DownloadsXX-Rebirth

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •