Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel GMA X4500HD

Hybrid View

Default Intel GMA X4500HD

Phoronix: Intel GMA X4500HD

Earlier this month Intel had announced the GMA X4500 series, which is their latest and greatest when it comes to integrated graphics processors. These IGPs were greeted by same-day Linux support (it had actually arrived before the chipset was announced), but it's still next to impossible to find motherboards using the G43 and G45 Chipsets that bear this IGP. Fortunately, however, our friends at Super Micro have come through and we have managed to get our hands on the C2SEA. The Super Micro C2SEA is an ATX motherboard that uses the Intel G45 Chipset in conjunction with an ICH10 Southbridge. This motherboard provides Intel GMA X4500HD graphics with VGA and HDMI interfaces. In this article, we are looking at the performance of this new Intel graphics processor under Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12671

Great! I was looking forward to this test.

I ordered Intels DG45ID!

Wow, this could be misleading for the average Joe:

ATI HD4500 vs Intel 4500HD
    It wouldn't be so bad if they were neck to neck performance wise.
    I'm wondering how they'll compare.

Default Doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKoala View Post
    Wow, this could be misleading for the average Joe:

ATI HD4500 vs Intel 4500HD
    It wouldn't be so bad if they were neck to neck performance wise.
    I'm wondering how they'll compare.
    After years of struggling with ATI, I am glad to find an alternative that promises to work out-of-the-box. Goodbye ATI, I just recommended it to a friend, and will never purchase another ATI product in future. Doesn't matter if the G45 is 4 points slow in some test or 2 points slower in another, the result will still be enjoyable HD movie watching!

Hip hip Hooray! Freedom from buggy ATI drivers at last ..

Cheers

Default So what's the latest on this chipset's video decoding drivers?

Are we there yet? Is the X4500HD chipset suitable for a MythTV frontend? Or does NVidia still have the only hardware decoder working right now? I want to order parts this week and actually get them working, not wait'n'hope for a future driver release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapitron View Post
    Are we there yet? Is the X4500HD chipset suitable for a MythTV frontend? Or does NVidia still have the only hardware decoder working right now? I want to order parts this week and actually get them working, not wait'n'hope for a future driver release.
    I recently bought a nvidia 9500GT (fanless) for my HTPC. First impressions:

- 2D performance is slow but adequate. My previous 7600GS (also fanless) offered *much* better 2D performance.
    - Haven't tested 3D performance, but it should be adequate.
    - XBMC w/ VDPAU allows perfect 1080p playback on a single-core Athlon64 3200+. Make sure you have enough RAM available (2GB is fine).
    - Compiz and XBMC do not play well together.
    - Multi-monitor setups are a pain on nvidia. Twinview sucks with different-size monitors and anything else fails to sync correctly.
    - XRandR does not work on my setup.
    - The drivers do not autodetect newly connected monitors (why, Nvidia?). This is a major pain if you turn on your PC before you turn on your TV.
    - Audio passthrough works, but is limited to your sound card's capabilities. This typically means that you won't be able to get 5.1 sound on games and typical desktop usage. DTS/AC3 encoded signals work fine, however.

All in all, I'm underwhelmed. Things work, but support is only borderline adequate. It would actually be fine if I only had a single monitor connected, but add a second one and it will introduce a world of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapitron View Post
    There's only hardware acceleration for MPEG2 at the moment, and I'm not sure if that's available in a release or only from git.

Support for H264 and VC-1 is coming but probably not this year:
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/047074.html

Default great article

Wonderful news, really and THANK YOU Intel for this great HW *and* SW effort. Finally, waiting for 3D card with reasonable performance for everyday use (I guess PS3 - grade graphics?) and quality open drivers is over. Historically, I had many proprietary blobs in my computer and hated each and every of them with passion: various media codecs, nvidia driver, wifi driver, adobe pdf reader, java jvm, flash, nero... It seems, as soon as I get one of these Centrino 2 X4500HD boxes, Flash plugin is last on this list, waiting for adequate F/OSS replacement. Also, upgrade to 64-bit system should be non-issue in this case.

I guess PS3 - grade graphics?
    PS3 = Playstation 3?

If so, not by far. While the PS3 video processor isn't a powerhouse by today's standards (about equivalent to a high-end G70), the X4500HD doesn't even come close

That said, performance looks very reasonable and driver support is a big plus. I wonder how this piece compares to AMD's integrated HD3200 - any chance for a feature/performance comparison soon?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    PS3 = Playstation 3?

If so, not by far. While the PS3 video processor isn't a powerhouse by today's standards (about equivalent to a high-end G70), the X4500HD doesn't even come close
    Radeon X1800 XT (in this test) has equal performance as nVidia 7800 which is inside PS3, so unless somebody present benchmarks, I have no reason to believe PS3 can be much faster then Intel X4500. Also, driver for Intel's new chip is in its first iterations, so lets see how it will improve in time and lets wait for more benchmarks comparing both cards.