Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does WINE work well with radeon drivers for D3D games?

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    I really don't know about specific titles, but games does overall work quite well with Mesa. This one though, is quite badly supported in Wine in general, so no surprise really:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...tion&iId=10054

You are much better off seeking support in Wine forums/mailing lists rather than jumping to conclusions.
    Its a different if you want to play a game then arma2 is wrong sure.
    But i do tests.
    If something does not run its a more interesting result than if does not run.
    ArmA2 is a good test because its a fucking bad as game for the hardware and driver and it uses many directX9+extensions.

be sure if arma2 runs all other dx9 games run also.

@Q

your wine tests are useless when you dont install updated 32 bit mesa packages on a 64 bit install. use 32 bit if you dont know how to do.

Default Looks familiar

Those unhandled page faults at 0x00000000 look very familiar to me - it's exactly what I get when trying to run Homeworld2 (basic or Complex) under Wine using the r300g driver (latest git, tracked for ages and tested every time I update) on my X850XT. It works brilliantly on fglrx (better than on Windows - I never got it to work without show-stopping rendering errors on an XP dual-boot when I tried that, nor did a friend with a 3850, although it's fine with Intel and nVidia cards) but I've had to keep a special "frozen in time" dual-boot installation on my system just for that purpose as R400 support was dropped from fglrx years ago and the last version to support my card doesn't support kernels newer than 2.6.28 or X server newer than something ancient like 1.4.

It also works fine (albeit with performance issues in the last few Wine versions) on a modern GeForce GTX460-based system running the nVidia blob with latest kernel/wine/xorg.

If anyone wants me to try any specific tests, etc., to try and pin down the problem, just let me know.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    old but gold tropic...
    Wine does work very well with open drivers, the *REAL* problem are the performance because Windows games are much more demanding and OSS drivers are still badly optimized.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by molletts View Post
    Those unhandled page faults at 0x00000000 look very familiar to me - it's exactly what I get when trying to run Homeworld2 (basic or Complex) under Wine using the r300g driver (latest git, tracked for ages and tested every time I update) on my X850XT. It works brilliantly on fglrx (better than on Windows - I never got it to work without show-stopping rendering errors on an XP dual-boot when I tried that, nor did a friend with a 3850, although it's fine with Intel and nVidia cards) but I've had to keep a special "frozen in time" dual-boot installation on my system just for that purpose as R400 support was dropped from fglrx years ago and the last version to support my card doesn't support kernels newer than 2.6.28 or X server newer than something ancient like 1.4.

It also works fine (albeit with performance issues in the last few Wine versions) on a modern GeForce GTX460-based system running the nVidia blob with latest kernel/wine/xorg.

If anyone wants me to try any specific tests, etc., to try and pin down the problem, just let me know.

Stephen
    No idea if you're helped by this, but I just tried the Homeworld2 demo with r600g and it's working fine if started with -nopbuffer (this seems to be a problem with Wine).

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @Q

your wine tests are useless when you dont install updated 32 bit mesa packages on a 64 bit install. use 32 bit if you dont know how to do.
    my test are usefull because "John Doe" also don't know it.

usability test

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    No idea if you're helped by this, but I just tried the Homeworld2 demo with r600g and it's working fine if started with -nopbuffer (this seems to be a problem with Wine).
    Just tried it - no difference. I remember reading that hint in the Wine AppDB but I've never needed to use -nopbuffer myself to get it working, nor have I been able to discern any difference in performance with or without that option.

Yesterday, I played with four EVE-Online in the same time with my 4870HD and r600g.

I love these drivers!

surprise surprise i test Oblivion in wine with the radeon driver and the game runs very good

DirectX9 shows almost complete with the radeon driver.

the only downside is sometimes the speed is to low.

no graphic bug and no crash and the image quality is very good.

the only error shown in the bash is:
    fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 01-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Yep, that's probably a much better test case. I had a similar experience with Fallout 3 (same engine if I'm not mistaken). Renders fine, a little bit slow, but playable.