Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forums often inaccessible last few days

Default Forums often inaccessible last few days

I visit the forums quite frequently, but the last few days I have been receiving a vBulletin message that the server is under too high of a load to serve my request and to please try again later (I can't remember the exact wording). Anyway, at first it was infrequent, but now it is happening almost everytime I visit the site. Is anyone else experiencing this? It doesn't seem like these boards are active enough to cause things to come to a hault like that.

The load bug should be fixed now... If you see this message again, please let us know.

I have been notified by the system administrator for the Phoronix Forums server that we are going through too much bandwidth and other resources . With that said, some optimizations are being implemented to hopefully address these issues without seriously impacting the user's browsing experience. A server load limit is being turned on with vBulletin, but if you see these alerts frequently, please post here or send off a message to Phoronix.

We are also examining other possible routes, such as moving the Forums server in-house or other avenues.

Feel free to voice your thoughts or concerns.

How could the forums use -that- many resources? I just had the problem... it lasted for about a half hour. I was tying out a post... and bam, server load.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
    How could the forums use -that- many resources? I just had the problem... it lasted for about a half hour. I was tying out a post... and bam, server load.
    The past 30 minutes there have been tweaks going on... hopefully that's all finalized. If you continue to notice the message, let us know.

I am not too sure how the forums are using that many resources, but that is what my administrator said... There's only 100 some users at this point, but there is quite a bit of page views.

Hopefully these latest settings will settle everything, but if it doesn't I will probably setup a new forum server in-house for now.

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Wow, that's odd. :-/ There aren't even many images posted in the forums, so it can't be that either. If vBulletin is the culprit, maybe you should try PunBB, it's probably the most light-weight forum software out there.

http://punbb.org/

I'm sure Michael shares the same mindset as me when it comes to vBulletin. It's a pain in the ass, but it's feature-rich and secure. It would likely be a server specific issue, not the software to be honest. Unless modifications were made, of course.

The main reason the Phoronix Forums use vBulletin is due to security reasons compared against the other projects. If time allowed, I would just write my own forum software.

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Well, PunBB is pretty secure. It's not like PhpBB, I can assure you that.

I didn't know phpBB was a very insecure forum...