Thread: "radeon" driver screen update problem

Hybrid View

Default "radeon" driver screen update problem

Hi,

I'm using the latest "radeon" drivers from ubuntu intrepid, along with the corresponding mesa and xorg packages. My card is a Mobility Radeon X1400. I get screen redraw problems like the attached screenshot. This happens with both EXA and XAA, and with Compiz and Metacity (tried all 4 combinations).

I should probably mention that the only app I see this problem with is Evolution, and only the mail compose window. Has anyone seen similar problems/ know of any workarounds?

Same card on ubuntu hardy using xorg-pushers repo for git versions. No such problem here.

There was a recent change to radeon to set GARTSize default to 32. Maybe intrepid didn't get this yet. If not, you might improve performance by putting this in your xorg.conf driver section:

Option "GARTSize" "32"

I've actually gone to "64", but "32" probably is all that's needed.

hth

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    There was a recent change to radeon to set GARTSize default to 32. Maybe intrepid didn't get this yet. If not, you might improve performance by putting this in your xorg.conf driver section:

Option "GARTSize" "32"

I've actually gone to "64", but "32" probably is all that's needed.
    Interesting, but I had already set the GARTSize to 64 a while ago for other reasons. Just tried again with "32" (just for the heck of it), but the same issue remains.

Setting GART size > 32 is not reccomended as 32 is hardcoded in places and it may cause bugs.

I don't know the detail - just repeating what the devs have said on #radeon.

Quote Originally Posted by mrinaldotnet View Post
    Hi,

I'm using the latest "radeon" drivers from ubuntu intrepid, along with the corresponding mesa and xorg packages. My card is a Mobility Radeon X1400. I get screen redraw problems like the attached screenshot. This happens with both EXA and XAA, and with Compiz and Metacity (tried all 4 combinations).

I should probably mention that the only app I see this problem with is Evolution, and only the mail compose window. Has anyone seen similar problems/ know of any workarounds?
    Also occured for me on Xpress200M with Inrepid + TormodVolden's GIT radeon. I havn't checked if it also occurs with the Inrepid's radeon driver.

There's the possibility that this was a bug in evolution - the problem has disappeared after a round of updates.

Default recent change to radeon

Quote Originally Posted by sahara4 View Post
    There was a recent change to radeon to set GARTSize default to 32. Maybe intrepid didn't get this yet.
    This change is included since intrepid alpha4.