Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memory on graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    The logic for dealing with non-CPU accessible memory still needs to be added. It's on the todo list.
    Just tested the code on F12. I think this kind of works. There is some corruption, but I don't see the driCannotAllocateTexture messages. So, is the logic in place now. Any other way I can test it?

Quote Originally Posted by kadambi View Post
    So, is the logic in place now. Any other way I can test it?
    Not yet. However, with KMS the CPU accessible memory is a shared pool so any client that needs it can access it. Prior to KMS, memory was statically allocated to certain things.

Not yet. However, with KMS the CPU accessible memory is a shared pool so any client that needs it can access it. Prior to KMS, memory was statically allocated to certain things.
    Just got F13. Still see the same behavior as F12. So, I assume its not fully done yet?

probably soon(tm)

I advise you not to hold your breath.

2.6.35 has the code to handle non-CPU accessible vram.

Great! When Fedora pulls it in, I will test and report back.

January 2011:

Quote Originally Posted by kadambi
    Just got F14, it works! (mostly)

2.6.35 has the code to handle non-CPU accessible vram.
    Wow! Does this mean the phram module can be used to access the whole vram (and not only the prefetchable one lspci reports)? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbios View Post
    Wow! Does this mean the phram module can be used to access the whole vram (and not only the prefetchable one lspci reports)? Thanks
    To my understand phram can only use mappable memory, so no phram won't be able to access beyond bar size. That being said using vram as swap or other thing like that is one of the badest idea you can come up with, it would be lot better if you just buy more ram.

Quote Originally Posted by glisse View Post
    To my understand phram can only use mappable memory, so no phram won't be able to access beyond bar size. That being said using vram as swap or other thing like that is one of the badest idea you can come up with, it would be lot better if you just buy more ram.
    Sorry, can you explain me why? Having 2 video cards the second one is wasted when I don't need two monitors, so using it at least for its memory would be good IMHO.