Thread: Intel Releases Solid State Disk Drives

Default Intel Releases Solid State Disk Drives

Phoronix: Intel Releases Solid State Disk Drives

It's been known that Intel has been working on producing some solid-state drives (SSDs), but today they have released their first two products. The X18-M and X25-M Mainstream SATA Solid-State Drives are Intel's first disk drives boasting these low-power, rugged, and responsive characteristics...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjcxMQ

Apparently, it is the first truly high performance SSDs, but with a major flaw. Given the price, I'll wait for the version 2.0 (or for the prices to go way down).

16 GB for $120 with really good performance, and I'll do it.
    I hate how they're putting these out of everyone's price range by offering them in capacities we don't need. It's aggravating.

I'm not going to store my movies, music, etc. on an SSD any time soon. I'll use a cheap, huge hard drive for that. What I want is somewhere fast to put my /.

ethana2: my thoughts exactly. Hell, I'd even buy an 8GB or a 4GB drive if the quality was top notch and the price right.

Quote Originally Posted by apaige View Post
    ethana2: my thoughts exactly. Hell, I'd even buy an 8GB or a 4GB drive if the quality was top notch and the price right.
    Yeah, I'd totally go for 8 GB too. 4 is pushing it though, I like my multiple installed DE's