Thread: Hexen/heretic source finally gpl'd

Hybrid View

Default Hexen/heretic source finally gpl'd

Wow kind of extremely late on Raven behalf (but thankyou for getting round to it Raven) - heres the info courtesy of Doomworld:

"In a surprise email from Raven Software employee James Monroe, James "Quasar" Haley of Team Eternity has been notified that the source code for Heretic and Hexen has been re-released under the GNU General Public License, and is now available from Sourceforge.

Having the code relicensed required a community effort spanning almost a decade. At its height, this included an online petition, an open letter, snail mail campaigns, e-mail, an international action item on GNU.org, insider efforts by Chris Rhinehart of Human Head Studios and Doom's own John Romero, and other activities carried on individually by countless community members.

This release is of monumental importance, as it will allow GPL Doom source ports to freely integrate support for Heretic and Hexen without requiring the code to be rewritten from scratch or to be emulated through empirical testing. The door is also now open for new ports such as "Chocolate" Heretic and Hexen, and for such ports to be distributed in free software packages."

The dump is here on sourcforge http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=238655.

EDIT: Crap I didn't realise this news was slashdotted a couple of days ago - yes i am living under a rock
    Last edited by hmmm; 09-10-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Nice. A big fan of Hexen back in the day.

If you're under a rock, I'm in a cave. I haven't read slashdot in months.

Quote Originally Posted by me262 View Post
    Nice. A big fan of Hexen back in the day.

If you're under a rock, I'm in a cave. I haven't read slashdot in months.
    /.'s the electronic equivalent of a monkey house in a zoo. Lots of screeching and poo flinging- and very little of import happening as a result...

According to the sourceforge date, the source code was released last thursday, so how come only now everywhere on the web it's being reported as a news flash? Nonetheless it's good news. I love Heretic/Hexen.

Source gpl'd, as in 'anyone is now free to come up with a Linux client of their own'?

Quote Originally Posted by domkop View Post
    Source gpl'd, as in 'anyone is now free to come up with a Linux client of their own'?
    Yes, though you could mostly do this anyhow with the license that was on that- we had clients using this same source base; they were just under a much more restrictive license from Raven. Having said this, the content's still decidedly Raven's and whomever has publication rights. You can't spread it around liberally, much like you can't distribute around Freespace 2, even though the engine's on a restricted, but open sourced, license...

Hmm, not sure I understand.

There is a Linux version of Freespace2 already, just the license is quite restrictive.

Or are you talking about a commercial rerelease under the LGP banner?

Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    Hmm, not sure I understand.

There is a Linux version of Freespace2 already, just the license is quite restrictive.

Or are you talking about a commercial rerelease under the LGP banner?
    There is an engine release under a somewhat restrictive license. LGP doesn't have publication rights over the assets, which until recently, have been difficult to obtain save by scoring a used game disk set.

However, Good Old Games, an online distribution division of CD Projekt, dedicated to resurrecting some of the best of the best in the "old" space, including titles such as Redneck Rampage, Fallout, Fallout Tactics, and Freespace 2 have started closed beta testing on the online store and community system TODAY. I just bought the assets for a mere $5.99 and just downloaded them. There's been some indication from them that they might be interested in seeing to Linux versions, but they don't have the skillsets or the time to obtain them right now.

IMHO, the best thing right now to show off the FS2 engine is Battlestar Galactica Beyond the Red Line.

/patiently waits for the next beta this month

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    IMHO, the best thing right now to show off the FS2 engine is Battlestar Galactica Beyond the Red Line.

/patiently waits for the next beta this month
    No kidding. I'd have to concur. However, there may be a way for you to show Linux sales by way of buying FS2 over at GoG- I'm checking into it as part of the Wishlist thread activities.

We'll know more probably within a week or so.