Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

Default Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

Phoronix: Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

Firefox, what's not to love about this open-source web browser? Well, a number of users following the development work on Ubuntu 8.10 (the Intrepid Ibex) are feeling rather outraged over Mozilla Firefox 3.0.2 and later. In the latest Ubuntu packages, Firefox requires an EULA (End-User License Agreement) be accepted the first time you launch the browser...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjcxOA

Hrm, seeing an EULA the first time you launch a browser might be a bit odd to new users, it's not such a huge usability problem. People are used to it.

However the brand name is (kinda) important, some a few people know about Firefox. imho, it doesn't make a diff if they rebrand it or keep the eula, same issues here and there.

If the heads of Ubuntu have any sense, they'll switch to Iceweasel/Icedove.

People are used to it.
    the ones that use windows often are. others - not quite.

i thought for a while i accidentally installed windows on my box when i saw that eula box :]

Quote Originally Posted by DanL View Post
    If the heads of Ubuntu have any sense, they'll switch to Iceweasel/Icedove.
    If they have any sense, they won't do that. "Ubuntu Web Browser" as someone suggested on launchpad makes much more sense.

Common just press OK on the damn EULA and fuckoff... There are SO many things to care about Ubuntu rather than removing a EULA that opens only on the first time you install the software...

Default Choice time

How many read the EULA?

Choose your way - choose your path:

User friendlyness -or- Brand protection

It's a brand protection fail, because you can protect the brand without having an EULA.

See Canonical's Ubuntu brand. They protect it well, without an eula.

"User friendlyness -or- Brand protection"

I have to disagree, placing something like "Iceweasel" instead of Firefox would be very bad to the end user, because Firefox is a known brand, and people like Firefox. When these people that know Firefox but doesn't know these trademark issues install Ubuntu will just look and say: "What the hell is this iceweasel?" and even if these people understands later that it's just firefox with other name, the initial impact will be negative for Ubuntu.

AND, in other hand, many extensions will just not install if you are using something with a name different then Firefox. Downloading a .jar, unpacking, changing the version string in a xml, packing again, and installing manually isn't a good thing for everyone...

Seriously, the Ubuntu-guys are already taking everything else from debian, why not also use iceweasel?
    Oh and:
    Firefox, what's not to love about this open-source web browser?
    GTK. GTK is ugly, especially the file-save dialog. Thanks god they've picked up work on a qt-port again.