Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CyberLink DVD Player In Ubuntu Store

Default CyberLink DVD Player In Ubuntu Store

According to this article, http://www.computerworld.com/action/...9&pageNumber=1 Canonical has licensed DVD playing software from Cyberlink (PowerDVD),

From the article:
    The Cyberlink PowerDVD software sells for $49.95 in the Ubuntu store and allows users to play commercial DVDs on the latest version of Ubuntu Linux, v8.04. OpenGL driver support for graphics hardware is also required.
    At first I had a rant here about the pricing and such, but apparently that's the standard price for the DVD playing version 7. I'm not sure if I know anyone who's paid full price for a copy- tons of OEM computers come with it, and nearly every DVD drive comes with a copy of it.

Something rubs me wrong about this though- I feel ripped off here.
    Last edited by dashcloud; 09-16-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: cosmetics

Quote Originally Posted by dashcloud View Post
    I'm not sure if I know anyone who's paid full price for a copy- tons of OEM computers come with it, and nearly every DVD drive comes with a copy of it.

Something rubs me wrong about this though- I feel ripped off here.

Well, usually the oem versions you get with drives are usually a 'lite' version of it missing out on features like post processing and the advanced audio capabilities.

So that means ubuntu is gonna start shipping with a crippled version of Cyberlink?

To be honest... I'm happy about this. It means another company recognizes Linux as a platform. Nevermind the eye gouging price, IMO.

Default CyberLink DVD Player In Ubuntu Store

Phoronix: CyberLink DVD Player In Ubuntu Store

Gerry Carr has announced on the Canonical Blog that Fluendo and CyberLink will now be selling their multimedia wares through the Canonical Store. Fluendo is the company supporting the development of GStreamer and they sell several proprietary codecs for providing a legal media playback experience on Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjcyNw

Great, even more binary blobs in ubuntu...next they'll be shipping IE.

Default Good Thing

I think this is great. Now I can give new ubuntu users a choice to be questionably legal or fully legal.

We need a good ecosystem of commercial applications on Linux. The desktop and drivers should never be proprietary, but we need proprietary applications to become better in the marketplace.

If we have linux support in the stores, then we get noticed.

Um, I didn't realize that they were shipping Ubuntu with this... I thought it was just in a repository available for purchase?

But if they're shipping with this, a 'lite'-free version, then great, it's a more usable OS out of the box in the real world.

Edit: nvm, people can't read and I should bother to do the reading myself. It says this in the post:

"We cannot ship codecs through the distro, as they are not free to redistribute. So we have built a restricted download area that is accessible through the store."

There's a Catalyst roadmap mentioning BR on Linux (if you are stupid enough to buy into that DRM nightmare):
    http://www.pcinpact.com/affichage/46...S880/62130.htm

At first I had a rant here about the pricing and such, but apparently that's the standard price for the DVD playing version 7.
    At first thought I also had a rant about it, but at second thought I still have a rant about it

Why does this (crappy) DVD software and few (less crappy) proprietary codecs from Fluendo cost more than a *physical* DVD/DIVX/anything player that I can plug to my TV, with more hassles ?