Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unreal Tournament 3 Running On Linux

CD-Key authenticity check. Simplest way.
    You can pack the client data in there as well.

Tracking unique IPs getting an update is better, but remember this program is spread through who knows how many mirrors. It's basically unrealistic (pun not intended) numbers because at that point it spreads to others there, and can't be tracked well.

If the new updater is BitTorrent based, then perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by b15hop View Post
    The game might want you to register a user account ala steam?
    Already does that, at least on Win32.

I might pick it up now. This game is only $10 at gogamer today and tomorrow.

http://www.ryanbreheny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ut3.png

no gimp or trickery - just wine :P

Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post

Maybe that's what Ryan is using!

Quote Originally Posted by D0pamine View Post

Heh, that screenshot looks a lot better then the screenshot Ryan put up. Ryan's looks like it's running pretty low res with lots of jaggies. Software renderer perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Heh, that screenshot looks a lot better then the screenshot Ryan put up. Ryan's looks like it's running pretty low res with lots of jaggies. Software renderer perhaps.
    So true... but for debugging purpouses it's enough ;-)

Anyway I hope my new HD4850 will run UT3 on 8.10 drivers if they'll ubuntu 8.10 ;o
    Last edited by Tares; 09-19-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Erm... what you mean? Which OpenGL game engine is "not" real-time... except maybe a chess game
    I'm sorry. It's just that working in a 3D application*, you can't have both the details and speed like in a game. So when I try a "next-gen" engine, I'm positive about the look and speed ("real-time"), compared to what I'm used to in the workspace. Of course OpenGL is all about real-time graphics.

*Things have changed the last few years of course, with shaders in the viewport and links to external engines. Being a convert to Blender, I'm very excited by the progress made by Yo Frankie!

I do not want to derail this thread but somehow I'm still struggling to understand what you are trying to get at. So you say Blender is no real-time? Since this would astonish me ( since I model all game models there in real-time... except sculpting which is blowing slow ). Or do you refer to so called "sandbox editing" which shows a WYSIWYG of the game world with or without game logic enabled? Since the later one would make sense to me. That's not often done

It was a bad choice of word. Blender et al. is real-time 3D, yes. It is easier now to work "WYSIWYG" in 3D games, with artist friendly tools (like the editor for 'Rage'), but not usually in conventional 3D-tools (not build for speed). The Apricot build of Blender helps a lot with tying the two closer, I'm sure.

Hope that makes sense.