Thread: Neverwinter Nights, shiny water, GF80 and 173.14.12 drivers

Default Neverwinter Nights, shiny water, GF80 and 173.14.12 drivers

After a long while, my friends and I started to pick up Neverwinter Nights multiplayer again. One of the things I noticed, though was that I could no longer enable the Shiny Water effect in the game, and that the checkbox was unchecked. Needless to say that this struck me as a surprise quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone has noticed this on GF80 or if it affects rather the whole 17x driver series.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    After a long while, my friends and I started to pick up Neverwinter Nights multiplayer again. One of the things I noticed, though was that I could no longer enable the Shiny Water effect in the game, and that the checkbox was unchecked. Needless to say that this struck me as a surprise quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone has noticed this on GF80 or if it affects rather the whole 17x driver series.

I still have that option on mine, and it is selectable. GF8800, 177.76, openSUSE 11 64-bit, fully patched including CEP2.1 and nwnmovies.

Fedora 8 64-bit here, NWN fully patched as well with CEP too, there are no updated drivers in the repos yet, GF8500GT here.

It turns out many of my problems with 32-bit 3D programs were due to nvidia drivers leftovers I thought the uninstall process of the reference drivers would actually remove the many libGL and libGLcore libraries for each of the driver versions installed, guess not

Well

nvidia-installer --uninstall

removes the installed drivers and puts back the backups. But of course if your system was updated in the meantime that uninstall method will give you old libs. As you have to use binary drivers usually for Nvidia this is not that critial as you can just install the next driver (be sure nvidia module is not loaded and X shut down).

I'm familiar with the process of installing/uninstalling nvidia drivers... It is just so that it is a pain to juggle distribution-specific packages of the driver Vs the reference driver. And believe me, every time I use the nvidia reference drivers, before reverting to the distribution packages or the like, I always run nvidia-installer --uninstall, it is just that custom libGL[core].so.<drv_version> libs for some reason linger, and are not removed with the --uninstall procedure, at least has been my experience with the driver up to the 169.4 [or the like] version which were the last I used, and the ones that kept the 32-bit GL library linked to it (through libGL.so.1). Maybe the behavior is different across architectures, or distributions?