Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Cedega 6.1 Gaming Service Released

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    197

    Default

    I dont think you understand.

    Wine has its own implementation of most of the common windows dlls. They are not wrappers for windows dlls. they are usually labeled $name.dll.so

    Wine doesnt need a wrapper, the wine loader can load actual windows dlls on the fly if necessary.

    So when i said use native wine dlls, use WINE's implementation and dont pollute the WINEPREFIX with windows dlls. Which is usually the cause of many a problem when using wine.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    I dont think you understand.

    Wine has its own implementation of most of the common windows dlls. They are not wrappers for windows dlls. they are usually labeled $name.dll.so

    Wine doesnt need a wrapper, the wine loader can load actual windows dlls on the fly if necessary.

    So when i said use native wine dlls, use WINE's implementation and dont pollute the WINEPREFIX with windows dlls. Which is usually the cause of many a problem when using wine.
    Actually when it comes to wine, the term "native" refers to native windows dlls. Wine refers to it it's own as "builtin" (the elf files).

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruiseoveride View Post
    I dont think you understand.
    I suspect they understand a bit more than you claim...

    Wine has its own implementation of most of the common windows dlls. They are not wrappers for windows dlls. they are usually labeled $name.dll.so
    This depends on if you're playing a game or using an office application. They don't have a clean or really complete implementation of the Direct3D stuff- you have to install Microsoft's DirectX 9c for at least some games at this time. Moreover, in at least some cases, you have to provide things a hacked up DirectDraw DLL derived from the WINE sources for some games to even PLAY them, and MS' stuff won't fix the problem either. I know, I FINALLY got Diablo II actually playing on my machines at home using this method with the latest WINE.


    Wine doesnt need a wrapper, the wine loader can load actual windows dlls on the fly if necessary.
    Yep. I will concur on this one.

    So when i said use native wine dlls, use WINE's implementation and dont pollute the WINEPREFIX with windows dlls. Which is usually the cause of many a problem when using wine.
    Also keep in mind that there's MANY a problem that're just the builtin (which is the PROPER term for this...) WINE DLL's fault as well. Stock WINE doesn't run quite a few things right without an adulterated configuration, which causes other problems elsewhere as you imply...

    I will say that WINE lets me run the Tax software I've used for the last four years without having to boot XP to do my taxes here in the States. I just got Diablo II working (Diablo's toast, though...Gold rating, my backside...)- but you need a bunch of jiggery-pokery, some of which WineDoors or WineTools set up for you, to even get things like the Tax software to work "right". Some of this jiggery-pokery is actually done by Transgaming and CodeWeavers in the first place in their installs.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    NWN2 is officially supported now, that's the one I noticed.
    Heh... I won't touch that one. Not after Atari's conduct in that matter.

  5. #15

    Default

    Hi guys,

    the following new games are supported:

    CNC3 Tiberium Wars (including LAN play)->works great, looks great

    Call of Duty 4-> works great,every graphic option choosable(not like in wine were some graphic options are unusable)! Multiplayer performance much better than in wine. Singleplayer performance also superior in most cases. (believe me, i heavily tested both)

    NWN2->works fine, online patcher also works (not sure if that already works in wine)

    Spore-> Works great, spore drm supported

    + HL2.Episode2, Portal, TeamFotress2 ( but i do not own these games, so no experience with them)

    And yes, 6.1 is a great cedega release.

    Christian.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christian_frank View Post
    Hi guys,

    the following new games are supported:

    CNC3 Tiberium Wars (including LAN play)->works great, looks great

    Call of Duty 4-> works great,every graphic option choosable(not like in wine were some graphic options are unusable)! Multiplayer performance much better than in wine. Singleplayer performance also superior in most cases. (believe me, i heavily tested both)

    NWN2->works fine, online patcher also works (not sure if that already works in wine)

    Spore-> Works great, spore drm supported

    + HL2.Episode2, Portal, TeamFotress2 ( but i do not own these games, so no experience with them)

    And yes, 6.1 is a great cedega release.

    Christian.
    Yay, all of these worked already with Wine/Crossover. I'm going to dust of my Cedega install to test COD4, I have bad experiences with cedega and ATI however. Lots of officially Cedega supported titles don't work with ATI

  7. #17

    Default

    When I compare WINE and Cedega, Cedega's real advantage is getting it to work with less fiddling on stuff. That's if it's supposed to work anyway. That's what you are paying for, IMO.

    Wine is a little bit for those adventurous folks who want and have the time to tweak and play around with things. Wine support is getting better but it's not quite there yet.

    To be frank, nowadays, I have become less dependent on Wine/Cedega, only using them when I have little recourse on things (I have only one or two apps on it). Those software just makes me want to vomit. Really.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    This depends on if you're playing a game or using an office application. They don't have a clean or really complete implementation of the Direct3D stuff- you have to install Microsoft's DirectX 9c for at least some games at this time.
    FYI, installing MS's DX runtimes does not give you MS'd D3D. MS's D3D works on several layers, some of which being internal that Wine has no need to implement (even if there was documentation available), before even getting to the graphics driver. Wine's D3D is really just a d3d -> opengl API wrapper. Native D3D goes through a bunch of "local" management in d3d*.dll, through gdi32.dll, etc, and finally to the display driver.

    Installing the DX runtimes does more to harm a Wine installation by giving your windows\system directory a bunch of junk DLLs.. some not used (Wine will generally take its own builtin .dll.so's over the win32 native .dll's), others that are used, and some that aren't meant to be used. It may make some things work initially, but especially as Wine updates, things tend to break.

    I just got Diablo II working (Diablo's toast, though...Gold rating, my backside...)- but you need a bunch of jiggery-pokery
    DDraw in general is not that good. Native ddraw pretty much gives you direct access to the hardware (you draw accelerated anywhere directly on the screen), and many apps expect 8bpp modes. Not something you can do with GL. The closest you'd get in X would be DGA, but that requires root privs and has been strongly deprecated (some drivers don't even offer it anymore). Doesn't help that you can't even change to an 8bpp mode in X without at least restarting it.

    Though in geeneral, I am pretty critical of Wine's internal D3D management. It tries to stuff it all together in one dll (wined3d.dll.so, which d3d9/8/7/etc talk to), which IMO doesn't work too well when you need to support D3D9/SM3 level hardware and pre-D3D7 hardware in the same place. I also don't really like how it handles d3d/gl states.
    I actually got fed up with it enough that I wanted to try making my own (cross-platform!) d3d lib, but focus solely on d3d9 and d3d9 hardware, and I actually made some progress.

    When I compare WINE and Cedega, Cedega's real advantage is getting it to work with less fiddling on stuff. That's if it's supposed to work anyway. That's what you are paying for, IMO.
    If you're going to pay for it, you may as well pay a company that actively gives back to Wine (CodeWeavers' CrossOver).

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL, USA
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Necessary evil at the moment though.

    Still waiting for the Gentoo ebuild too. Synced this morning and nothing!

    Cedega makes up for it by supporting the copy protection on the games. That's mostly where the money goes to. The fact that Spore works on it is amazing (and you're all doomed now that you have DRM on your computer).
    Last edited by me262; 09-25-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Interesting moral dilemma there... would Cedega find a way to taint the kernel?

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by me262 View Post
    Necessary evil at the moment though.

    Still waiting for the Gentoo ebuild too. Synced this morning and nothing!

    Cedega makes up for it by supporting the copy protection on the games. That's mostly where the money goes to. The fact that Spore works on it is amazing (and you're all doomed now that you have DRM on your computer).
    Is it really that amazing? You do know that Spore has a Cider release...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •