Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GNOME 3.0 Art / User-Interface Roadmap

don't get me wrong. My point is that Windows GUI is ok for 99% of users. I didn't talk about Start menu organization. I was talking about colours and stuff like that.

About kde3, I didn't mean it's ugly, I meant it's absolutely not "professional" as Windows.

KDE4 finally looks professional just as Windows and also more than MacOS.

About gnome, there is nothing to say about it.

So to conclude, my point is: KDE folks have understood kde3 problems and are fixing them in an excellent way with KDE4. Gnome instead? Not sure about their future... their plans are almost as silly as a Microsoft plan about security on their new operating system..
    Last edited by bulletxt; 09-25-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    don't get me wrong. My point is that Windows GUI is ok for 99% of users.
    That's mostly because 99% of pc users don't know anything else exists.

About kde3, I didn't mean it's ugly, I meant it's absolutely not "professional" as Windows.
    It's much prettier than either XP's teletubby or plain gray look. Vista on the other hand does look nice, I have to agree. But it wastes
    a lot of screen real estate for useless transparency.

About gnome, there is nothing to say about it.

So to conclude, my point is: KDE folks have understood kde3 problems and are fixing them in an excellent way with KDE4. Gnome instead? Not sure about their future... their plans are almost as silly as a Microsoft plan about security on their new operating system..
    Which is kind of sad since Gnome has all of RedHat, Canonical and most
    of Novell backing them.

[flame-mode]
    To all gnome-bashers: at least Gnome works (KDE 4, cough)
    [/flame-mode]

I've yet to find a single person who isn't able to use a Gnome DE out of the box, from my 11 year old nephew to my computer-illiterate mother and several windows-convert friends. Besides, they love how easily they can change themes, colors and fonts.

KDE 3 may have been considered classy back in its day, but it's just plain ugly by today's standards. KDE 4.0 was released broken. It's only 4.1 that is starting to look usable for a modern desktop.

I have to use several different DEs at work and university, some by choice, some not: Win2K/XP/Vista, MacOS, KDE 3, Gnome (2.16-2.23), XFCE. Among those, it's always Gnome that sets itself apart. Its single biggest advantage is usability (little clutter, everything is where you expect it to be), but I also prefer it for its aesthetics (clean and proffessional) and homogeinity (no big breaking layout changes between versions, gradual improvements).

Ok, back to flaming now!

Quote Originally Posted by KDesk View Post
    They should brake the ABI/API in GTK for the 3th version, the same with Gnome 3. But that is so much work... why not collaborate with Qt/KDE?
    Because Gnome is an interface which is supposed to serve as the standard interface of the GNU Kernel (called: 'hurd') that's still in development.

Roots of Gnome: GNU
    Roots of KDE: Linux

Personally, I prefer Gnome because I find it more intuitive. I do not dislike KDE however (I used that at first for years actually).
    Last edited by MaestroMaus; 09-26-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo's