Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quake Wars Performance Across Distros

Im wondering if other linux clients of commercial games like ut2k4 or even quake4 have this lack of optimization problem.

I would just like to update this because I got new hardware, and Quakewars is now multithreaded (at least the renderer).

The new Rig:

Asus 780G Board
    Phenom II 710 @ 3GHZ
    Radeon 4830 @ Stock - with my performance config the game is CPU bound

Results:

Linux:

84 FPS Single Thread
    120 FPS Multithreaded

Windows XP SP3

105 FPS Single Threaded
    153 FPS Multithreaded

Arch Linux Rolling Release w/ Custom Kernel - 2.6.28.9
    Kernel Options:
    Tickless
    Voluntary Preemption
    1000 HZ

I used the same demo as I used with the above benchmarks - if anyone wants it to compare message me.

The performace delta between Linux and Windows is still there, unfortunately, but QW is finally playable in Linux for me even though it drops to almost 50 FPS sometimes. The Windows client stays in a much smaller range. Also, I know Phoronix tested the threaded renderer a few months back and found it didn't make a difference, so clearly there's been an update or the threaded renderer just works better with more than 2 cores.
    Last edited by nonfatmatt; 05-21-2009 at 12:52 PM.

1000 hz is a bit extreme...

Hmm. With the with the fglrx 9.4+ without compiz I get better performance than Vista. I guess Vista just sucks over linux and winXP :P

The performace delta between Linux and Windows is still there, unfortunately, but QW is finally playable in Linux for me, even though it drops to almost 50 FPS sometimes, wheras the Windows client stays in a much smaller range.
    I get a good +40 FPS on ubuntu over windows XP, god forbid vista. This was at about patch 1.4 I think.

same settings
    7950gt @default
    q6600 @default
    (at the time) 2GB ram

I recall it being faster for ubuntu on my old Athlon 64 3200+.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    1000 hz is a bit extreme...
    1000 HZ is recommended in the QW Readme. Also drivers are Catalyst 9.5. As to those of you who get more fps in Linux, I honestly don't know how that is possible at this point. I've tested this over four or five different hardware configurations with multiple kernels and it's always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nonfatmatt View Post
    1000 HZ is recommended in the QW Readme. Also drivers are Catalyst 9.5. As to those of you who get more fps in Linux, I honestly don't know how that is possible at this point. I've tested this over four or five different hardware configurations with multiple kernels and it's always the same.
    I could run the test on Arch 64, if you like. I just moved to the distro, so I don't know the easiest way to downgrade my kernel to 2.6.28, so I can use fglrx. How did you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by nonfatmatt View Post
    I also get better fps in counterstrike through wine vs xp

The Quake Wars demo runs pretty much like butt in linux on my PC. Frame rate seems decent overall, but it's very jerky. I've tried different driver versions, and different kernels compiled with different options. I would probably have purchased the game by now if it wasn't for this.

My PC is no world-beater by any means, but even when scaling the graphics down to ridiculously low settings, it's still jerky.

PC is an Athlon X2 5000+ with a GeForce 8800GTS 640 MB vid card, 4 GB ram.

Maybe it just needs more horsepower.

do yourself a favour and forget that 1000Hz ever existed. 300Hz is a much better choice.