Thread: RadeonHD HDMI Audio Patches Pushed To Master

Default RadeonHD HDMI Audio Patches Pushed To Master

Phoronix: RadeonHD HDMI Audio Patches Pushed To Master

Last week new RadeonHD HDMI audio patches were released by an independent developer that allows the integrated audio processor on ATI R600+ graphics cards to be used over HDMI using the open-source RadeonHD driver (xf86-video-radeonhd). Today those patches have landed in the master branch of this X.Org driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjgxNg

I wonder. Isn't HDMI legacy for graphics cards?

The way I understood it is, that Intel and AMD got fed up with the license fee for HDMI, and designed DisplayPort.

Hard to say. My guess is that HDMI will become "the new standard for TVout" and will replace S-video & component for home theater systems. If you look at A/V receivers they are just standardizing on HDMI in now and I don't see them changing to display port any time soon.

For computer displays, I think you're right -- the world will go from DVI to DisplayPort and skip over HDMI. Then again, that may have always been the plan, nobody tells me

Hopefully, in the future, most devices will have both hdmi and displayport functionality. Now if only my notebook machine had a dvi or hdmi port instead of useless vga without my having to buy a ^&*(_&$ overpriced and clunky dock.

I wish the pinouts on the dock connector were documented.