Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radeon vs. RadeonHD Fighting Continues

Default Radeon vs. RadeonHD Fighting Continues

Phoronix: Radeon vs. RadeonHD Fighting Continues

If you thought disputes among X.Org developers were going to stop in regards to there being two leading ATI drivers (xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd) after RadeonHD switched to using AtomBIOS, guess again. Daniel Stone committed a change to the X Server this morning that drops the RadeonHD driver as an X.Org module. Of course, this led to Luc Verhaegen (one of the RadeonHD developers at Novell) bringing this up on the X.Org mailing list...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjgwMA

RadeonHD should die ...

I can't for the life of me see why RadeonHD isn't being dropped and it's features merged with radeon.

Judging from that exchange it appears that the HD devs are quite opinionated in regards to the way their drivers are designed, dunno if that their high opinion is warranted or not. Anyone care to provide an unbiased opinion?

even better: drop and get rid of ati and radeonhd. develop a fist class gallium3d-driver, test and optimize it and make it an alternative the to proprietary fglrx. but it's keeping a dream

anything but this :/

that starting flamerwar _really_ sucks. it's bound to hit linuxhater soon ;-)

Benchmark the suckers! Fastest one on a given card gets that PCI-ID.

Heh, I love it when politics gets involved with development. With internal squabbling and backstabbing being done like this I can really see yet another fork of X in the future. Unfortunately this is the exact type of behavior that feeds the advocates of closed source development.

Uhm, radeon vs radeonhd doesn't have anything to do with Gallium3D. They both use the same mesa 3D driver, and the only real difference is modesetting code. That said, the duplication of effort going on here isn't really great.

I have xorgs, xservers and mesas built from Debian experimental with latest radeon and radeonhd driver and still radeonhd can't cope with EXA... it makes the computer very slow and fan spins like crazy. I was disappointed.
    Last edited by sundown; 10-21-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Isn't this meaningless ?
    I mean soon we will see KMS for radeon cards. With modesseting in the kernel both radeon and radeonhd will be not needed.... or correct me if I'm wrong ? isn't all that's going to be left in the Xorg just the mesa (which both drivers share)?