Thread: VirtualBox 2.0.4 Gets Released

Default VirtualBox 2.0.4 Gets Released

Phoronix: VirtualBox 2.0.4 Gets Released

VirtualBox 2.0.4 has been released this morning as the second maintenance release in the 2.0 series. This virtualizer for x86 hardware that's owned by Sun Microsystems now has better reporting for VT-x failures, Qt interface fixes, virtualization crash fixes, Solaris host support for Crossbow Virtual Network Interfaces, Ubuntu 8.10 support, Linux clipboard fixes, and other changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjgwOA

Well only VBOX Addon support for Ubuntu 8.10 is new. They did not fix some issues with the kernel on non VT machines of the older Ubuntu test images - which solved a kernel patch - back then Vbox crashed even while booting Ubuntu live iso images.

Sadly it still reports that 64-bit guests is still broken with Virtualbox reporting "You cannot install a 64-bit guest on this machine" on machines that are fully capable of it.

Install a 64 bit host OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Sun needs to add support for running a 64 bit guest on top of a 32 bit OS even if the host CPU IS a 64 bit one.

Can VMWARE do that?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Sun needs to add support for running a 64 bit guest on top of a 32 bit OS even if the host CPU IS a 64 bit one.
    Why would you possibly want to do such a thing?

As far as I'm aware a 32 bit host os on a 64 bit processor is run in a special protected mode (this was done for compatibility with x86). Not to mention that the program would be compiled for x86 and would not be able to allocate the resources for x64. However somebody please correct me if I'm hopelessly wrong...

edit: in vmware it seems to be possible to use a 32bit host for 64 bit guests if the cpu is 64 bits.
    Last edited by _txf_; 10-27-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: EDIT: apparently I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    That is with a 64-bit host.

Enable VT in the advanced options. This is required for 64-bit support (it's in the manual ).