Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WINE Developers Start On Direct3D 10 Support

Hybrid View

Default WINE Developers Start On Direct3D 10 Support

Phoronix: WINE Developers Start On Direct3D 10 Support

Word out of WINE HQ this morning is that WINE 1.1.7 has been released. This development release has major changes that consist of improved device management for DOS drives, many Richedit fixes, many Windows installer fixes, and the first steps of a Direct3D 10 implementation...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjgxMA

Gahh, Direct3D is the job of the GPU drivers, /not/ some API translation shim.

This should not be done by WINE, this should be done by Gallium, or heck, nVidia and ATi.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    Gahh, Direct3D is the job of the GPU drivers, /not/ some API translation shim.

This should not be done by WINE, this should be done by Gallium, or heck, nVidia and ATi.
    I don't think that is possible, as the Windos program runs inside WINE.

How should WINE be able to push the D3D stuff to the video driver?

I don't know, but it does fine with OpenGL..

I don't know, but it does fine with OpenGL..
    Your logic makes sense only if there are a lot open-source programs available that runs D3D natively. How many apps out there that are like that?

Who cares?

If FOSSers weren't so fricking picky about their gpu drivers maybe linux would have games.

I'd rather have Direct3D9+ than OpenGL 3.

You can expect publishers to compile against Winelibs.
    You cannot expect them to translate their graphics APIs.
    Until Direct3D performance is equal to Windows or better, people will still use windows for games.
    Some of those people don't have time to deal with two operating systems, and it's all or nothing.

Linux needs Direct3D support in its GPU drivers.
    Last edited by ethana2; 10-24-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Technically, it's only Wine, and VMware has it's own too. They're not recreating the API, the putting D3D through OpenGL. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you thought Microsoft was doing with Vista.
    Doing it this way through a wrapper doesn't violate any patents(at least to my knowledge.), but it's much less effective. Maybe if AMD and Nvidia also pitched in their efforts into Wine's D3D wrapper development would go faster, but I don't think they really care.
    Last edited by superppl; 10-25-2008 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superppl View Post
    Technically, it's only Wine, and VMware has it's own too. They're not recreating the API, the putting D3D through OpenGL. Pretty much the exact opposite of what you thought Microsoft was doing with Vista.
    Doing it this was a wrapper doesn't violate any patents(at least to my knowledge.), but it's much less effective. Maybe if AMD and Nvidia also pitched in their efforts into Wine's D3D wrapper development would go faster, but I don't think they really care.
    So Gallium will enable this to be done better, but it would be unwise for TG to actually /include/ Direct3D support in their own code?

So Gallium will enable this to be done better, but it would be unwise for TG to actually /include/ Direct3D support in their own code?
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjY5Nw
    - Core support for Gallium is essentially done for OpenGL and DirectX 9
    - Additional APIs for Gallium 3D is on the way, but Tungsten Graphics doesn't want to comment on which ones at this time.
    Seems like TG already has D3D9 internally

Quote Originally Posted by some-guy View Post
    Seems like TG already has D3D9 internally

I maybe wrong but I believe that is Direct3D as found in the wine compatibility layer. Also don't forget that Direct3D is just one part of DirectX.
    Last edited by deanjo; 10-25-2008 at 12:35 AM.