Thread: lock-up on intrepid with latest fglrx

Default lock-up on intrepid with latest fglrx

hi...
    As soon as the ubuntu-edition fglrx came out I installed intrepid (kubuntu) on my laptop (toshiba A200 with HD2600 mobility)
    Since then I've experienced several lock-ups when the laptop is left on/idle for a long time...
    It shouldn't be an overheating, or otherwise hardware related thing...
    Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

ps: Also, when this happens, the caps lock led keeps flashing... that's what happened on this laptop before, with the fglrx log out bug...

can you setup ssh and log in to the laptop remotely to check the syslog, because it's been known to happen on various distros.

thanx for the reply
    uh... have to wait for it to happen again to check... but as I see the syslog from this morning (last time it happened) I don't see anything relevant... the last entry before reboot is a network manager thing...

Default Flashing caps-lock

This indicates a kernel panic. It is unlikely to have been able to log anything before it died. Redirecting console to a serial or parallel port to another machine is sometimes needed to retrieve the panic info. Ethernet drivers and TCP/IP stack don't always live long enough to complete the transmit.

cool... (to know what that flashing led means, not having it flashing on my pc ...I though it was sort of an ati-bug-thing and I never bothered to look it up) thanx for the info
    so it looks like I'm sol with finding out what's the actual problem... the pc is a laptop, so no serial or parallel... (unless maybe a usb2serial cable connection would be still functional to deliver the panic message of the redirected console...)
    I could just switch to console and wait for the panic, but I guess the bug would probably never be triggered that way... (especially if it's indeed fglrx related)

Default I'd try it

I'd try it anyway. Depending on the cause it might still trigger and give us data, or it doesn't and we know it is graphics related.