Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: System Freeze on Switch user

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    VT switching works just fine. Restarting the X server is what locks up the machine. (Press CTRL+ALT+Backspace in X. Viola, bye bye system. Needs hard reset.)
    I can restart X-server just fine, and switch VT's. The hard lock only happens when I start another X-session.

Quote Originally Posted by Odur View Post
    I can restart X-server just fine, and switch VT's. The hard lock only happens when I start another X-session.
    Same here. Restarting X is fine. Starting a second X session causes total machine lockup.
    I used to get lockup restarting X, but that was fixed a few releases ago.

User switching is what causes Hard Lock Hell for me using fglrx. I haven't tested VT Switching. This is 100% reproducible on a ATI 4670 card & Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (w/latest updates):

1. Log in as a user to default desktop.
    2. Switch to a different user using the Fast User Switch agent.
    3. Log in as the new user.
    * HARD LOCK *

Also, switching users from the screensaver will also lock the system. Sometimes 1 user switch will work, but then trying to switch back to the original user will HARD LOCK the system.

For me, even restarting the X server results in a backtrace and the system will eventually lock up.

Bridgeman,

Any update on investigating this?

Quote Originally Posted by gururise View Post
    User switching is what causes Hard Lock Hell for me using fglrx. I haven't tested VT Switching. This is 100% reproducible on a ATI 4670 card & Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (w/latest updates):

1. Log in as a user to default desktop.
    2. Switch to a different user using the Fast User Switch agent.
    3. Log in as the new user.
    * HARD LOCK *

Also, switching users from the screensaver will also lock the system. Sometimes 1 user switch will work, but then trying to switch back to the original user will HARD LOCK the system.
    This is 100% reproducible on a ATI HD 3850 (agp) & opensuse 11.1 (w/latest updates)

Quote Originally Posted by monomakh View Post
    This is 100% reproducible on a ATI HD 3850 (agp) & opensuse 11.1 (w/latest updates)
    Just want to mention that this problem is reproducible with both Catalyst (fglrx) 8.12 and the new 9.1! I am running 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04LTS if that helps... My multi-user linux is effectively a single user system with fglrx.

Quote Originally Posted by gururise View Post
    Just want to mention that this problem is reproducible with both Catalyst (fglrx) 8.12 and the new 9.1! I am running 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04LTS if that helps... My multi-user linux is effectively a single user system with fglrx.
    Same symptoms on OpenSUSE 11.1 with HD3650 card, even just logging out of X will cause a hard lock.

Niel

Same sysmptoms on OpenSuSE 11.0 with HD3450 card. No problems on logging out, but immediate freeze when trying to start a second X-Session.

Interesting thing: when I used the built in HD3200 from the 780 Chipset this did not occur.

The solution at/near the end of this thread solved my problem, maybe they will help you guys, too. (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57084&p=3)