Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: WINE 1.1.8 Released, Improved Memory Management

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,780

    Default WINE 1.1.8 Released, Improved Memory Management

    Phoronix: WINE 1.1.8 Released, Improved Memory Management

    The release of WINE 1.1.7 two weeks ago marked their initial work on implementing Direct3D 10 support, but still in a very early form. WINE 1.1.8 has now been released and while doesn't contain anything quite as exciting, there are a few interesting points. WINE 1.1.8 features substantial parts of inetcomm being implemented to provide Microsoft Outlook support, improved crypt32 support, memory management improvements, and theming support for buttons...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjgzOA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,622

    Default

    Not to forget that now ASPI works again. This stopped working with 1.1.7.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    120

    Default GREAT!

    The Wine guys are doing a phenomenal job tackling this very tough problem.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Not to forget that now ASPI works again. This stopped working with 1.1.7.

    WooHoo AEC should start working again.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,622

    Default

    Well I helped finding that bug because nobody knew that there was one. It is not that hard to do, I needed to compile about 10 times wine (a bit more to test the patch then) using the git bisect way. I used ccache and added -j2 (dual) or -j4 (quad) to the make commands improve compile speed.

    http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting

    http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...753ba3c82295a8

    With the result Thunderbird fixed it:

    http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...a6941545ccf76e

    As before you just complain that something does not work anymore which worked before just help finding the patch.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Well I helped finding that bug because nobody knew that there was one. It is not that hard to do, I needed to compile about 10 times wine (a bit more to test the patch then) using the git bisect way. I used ccache and added -j2 (dual) or -j4 (quad) to the make commands improve compile speed.

    http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting

    http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...753ba3c82295a8

    With the result Thunderbird fixed it:

    http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...a6941545ccf76e

    As before you just complain that something does not work anymore which worked before just help finding the patch.

    I'm not complaining, just celebrating.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,622

    Default

    I meant complaining not about that specific issue, just in general it should be not too hard to find commits which introduced a regression with a new version using the described way in the wiki. That speeds up the time to get a fix.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •