Thread: Video Tearing

Default Video Tearing

I bought a 9500GT to use in place of my Radeon HD 4850 until they get decent drivers (open or closed), with my main complaint about the Radeon being video tearing.

But it doesn't seem to be any better with nvidia. I'm running Intrepid, and installed the 180.22 driver packages from the Jaunty repos. Enabled VSync in nvidia-settings. Anything else I need to do?

Still seeing tearing with or without compositing.

Thanks,

Russell

Edit: I typically use gmplayer (or just mplayer, if I'm messing around) for playback if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by russell_h View Post
    I bought a 9500GT to use in place of my Radeon HD 4850 until they get decent drivers (open or closed), with my main complaint about the Radeon being video tearing.

But it doesn't seem to be any better with nvidia. I'm running Intrepid, and installed the 180.22 driver packages from the Jaunty repos. Enabled VSync in nvidia-settings. Anything else I need to do?

Still seeing tearing with or without compositing.

Thanks,

Russell

Edit: I typically use gmplayer (or just mplayer, if I'm messing around) for playback if that matters.
    Disable any compositors (ie Compiz, Kwin4, etc)

Best use this in your xorg.conf - then even vdpau works fine - but you can not use compiz with it:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "0"
    EndSection

That seems to have done it, thanks!