Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X3: Reunion Finally Goes Gold On Linux

Hybrid View

Default X3: Reunion Finally Goes Gold On Linux

Phoronix: X3: Reunion Finally Goes Gold On Linux

X3: Reunion is a game developed by Egosoft, and is the sequel to X2: The Threat, which is being ported to Linux by Linux Game Publishing. LGP has been working on porting this Microsoft Windows title to Linux since January of 2007. This game was originally supposed to be released for Linux in August of 2007, but it didn't enter beta until October of 2007...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg0NA

Better late than never!

Code:
    naib@FluidMotion ~ $ glxinfo | grep shader3
        GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3,
    WooHoo I'm ordering \o/
    been wanting this for sometime now

Why aren't they just using a one-time key input system like Quake series and.. everyone else?
    Nobody wants a password dialogue up for playing a game.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno08 View Post
    Why aren't they just using a one-time key input system like Quake series and.. everyone else?
    Nobody wants a password dialogue up for playing a game.
    I thought it was a one-time key input. Unfortunately your right. Really what is LGP thinking??? I bought several (LGP) games in the past and I wanted to order X3. But now I rather buy the Windows version (costs only 5 eu) and run it in Wine. I'm all for supporting Linux game publishers (I own lots of Linux games). And I don't mind paying some extra money, but having to insert (and remember) my passwords for each time I want play a game is ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by aniruddha View Post
    I thought it was a one-time key input. Unfortunately your right. Really what is LGP thinking??? I bought several (LGP) games in the past and I wanted to order X3. But now I rather buy the Windows version (costs only 5 eu) and run it in Wine. I'm all for supporting Linux game publishers (I own lots of Linux games). And I don't mind paying some extra money, but having to insert (and remember) my passwords for each time I want play a game is ludicrous.
    Read this on how the system works, specifically, the second section entitled "How our copy protection works".

Great to see the game out! I know a lot were looking forward to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SlackerTD View Post
    Read this on how the system works, specifically, the second section entitled "How our copy protection works".

Great to see the game out! I know a lot were looking forward to this one.
    Weird, I read the Phoronix which apparently is incorrect:
    Anyone can put the game on their system, as LGP's new (Loki-based) installer isn't modified as part of this piracy-prevention scheme, but they will not be able to launch the game unless a valid key and password are provided. This information is then validated against LGP's servers (with SSL). If the key/password combination is verified, then it will launch the game.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...otection&num=1

What about users without internet? I plan on installing these games on my laptop which doesn't have internet all the time

Quote Originally Posted by aniruddha View Post
    What about users without internet? I plan on installing these games on my laptop which doesn't have internet all the time
    Contingencies are made so that if no internet connection is available, the game will never lock out legitimate customers.
    I'm not sure what that means, but presumable you'd be OK with intermittent internet access as long as you had it during your initial install/launch to have it validated.

I obviously don't know all the details but their scheme seems sensible. I'm fine with having some for of copy protection, and this one doesn't seem as dumb as requiring a CD.

But thinking about it more:

Finally, we come to the people that want to copy the game and give it to friends. We cannot stop people from telling their friends their serial number and password. However, bear in mind, anyone who has your serial number and password can change your password.
    Is there something that prevents you from, instead of giving your buddies the name and password to install, giving them the installed files and config files in ~/.x3reunion (or whatever) that indicates it's already been validated? If your info is not stored in plaintext, you'd be giving them a working copy without giving them your name/password combo. LGP'd have to have it check if it was on different hardware, and if so ask for name/password, but that seems like it would annoy people by straying too close to Windows activation.

Well, I hope whatever they have works for them, by which I mean lowers illegitimate copying without annoying customers.

Quote Originally Posted by SlackerTD View Post
    There's a mailing list for discussing the copy-protection, and it was described a bit differently there.
    Particularly, this bit:
    Once the key has been verified on the LGP servers, and the password registered then you are good to go, you never need to worry about the system again. It will call to the LGP servers each time the game starts, to verify its details. It does all this in the background.
    vs what's stated at here
    The only time you NEED an internet connection, is if you have had one previously and the game found it was an invalid copy.
    2. That the software stops calling home once it verifies your key, and won't disable the software if it can't connect.
    So personally, I'm just rather confused with conflicting information. No one's come out with a clear and concise explanation.

If i wanted DRM and binary blobs, i'd use windows. It's a no-go for me.