Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz With Radeon DRI2 Driver Almost There

Default Compiz With Radeon DRI2 Driver Almost There

Phoronix: Compiz With Radeon DRI2 Driver Almost There

Earlier this month we shared that an experimental ATI DRI2 driver had emerged that offered Direct Rendering Infrastructure 2 support to the open-source ATI Linux driver with GEM and TTM bits. Today though Compiz is now working with this ATI DRI2 code. The DRI2 support hasn't yet been merged to master for Mesa, DRM, and xf86-video-ati DDX driver, but it's a step closer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg1Ng

Ha... SF!

If all goes well maybe we can use this shiny DRI2 toy on Ubuntu 9.04?!

And the gap between fglrx and the OSS drivers just gets larger and larger
    Hopefully, by the next wave of distro releases, we'll all be playing World of Warcraft on Wine with Compiz/KWin running on OSS drivers :P

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    Ha... SF!

If all goes well maybe we can use this shiny DRI2 toy on Ubuntu 9.04?!
    you should be happy if your sons one day will have an ati card with open source drivers, running compiz|kde4 and playing doom 4.

dont even think about ubuntu 9.04 doing this

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    you should be happy if your sons one day will have an ati card with open source drivers, running compiz|kde4 and playing doom 4.

dont even think about ubuntu 9.04 doing this
    The only thing missing from what you said is having both 3D and compositing at the same time.
    With the X1650 on my desktop, I can run Doom 3, run KDE 4 Desktop Effects (although not both at the same time, but DRI2 is being worked on), Xv video is working just fine.
    Not sure what's your point.

Things definitely took speed recently. Looks like ATI is on the run. Not yet on top what goes for driver stability but it's definitely rambling in the woods over there :P

Is there any progress with the OpenGL part of the driver? It still only supports OpenGL 1.3 AFAIR.

I believe the first bits of work on a gallium mesa driver has begun for the newer ati chips (I'm not sure which.)

I don't think anything much is working on that front yet, but when the gallium3d driver does get done, it ought to be able to do OpenGL 2.1 (and possibly 3.0 once the state engine is updated) out of the box)

The priority right now, I think though is to get r600 and r700 accel working and getting gem, kms, and dri2 all into place and working and any bugs ironed out, so that the devs have a modern backend architecture to build on.

Keep in mind that gallium3d actually treats the gpu essentially as a general purpose processor (which is why gem is needed, it handles all of the memory management stuff a processor needs to work) on which graphics code (the state engines), or anything else you might want, can be executed (using the TGSI interface).
    Last edited by TechMage89; 11-16-2008 at 09:41 PM.

EDIT : What he said

A number of the GL 2.x features need memory management integration (which this work is part of) to be finished first. Once the KMS/MM/DRI2 code hits master I think you'll see OpenGL support start to lurch ahead some more. In the meantime it's just Corbin (MostAwesomeDude) and fog going at it mano a mano on the OpenGL front, and and most of the other work is either on building a solid new foundation for the 3d stack, or adding support for the latest GPU generations.
    Last edited by bridgman; 11-16-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Coder View Post
    The only thing missing from what you said is having both 3D and compositing at the same time.
    With the X1650 on my desktop, I can run Doom 3, run KDE 4 Desktop Effects (although not both at the same time, but DRI2 is being worked on), Xv video is working just fine.
    Not sure what's your point.
    Some strange thing, that I've noticed recently:

I'm running Kubuntu 8.10 with 4.1.3 from Unsupported source (see http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1.3 ).

What I noticed, is that I don't have to turn KWin's effect OFF every time I'd like to watch a video. The same with "glxgears" -- they ratate without flickering, while the Desktop Effects still ON.

This all works for my with "radeon" driver from default install of Kubuntu (and X1600XT card).

(note: originally, once I've just installed Kubuntu, I couldn't see Video, with Effects turned ON... It was not even flickering, but it was a full of garbage, inside a video player..)

One point to note: 3D/Video "canvas" is like "out of the rest desktop". I.e., when there are some transformations from effects applied, the "box" with rendered content stays un-trnsformed...

I believe, there's a kind of "workaround" from KWin's developers... But I'm not sure.. Does anybody have a bit more info on this?
    Last edited by mityukov; 11-17-2008 at 07:45 AM.