Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Releases 64-bit Flash For Linux

An updated version of Flash-x86_64 Alpha was released this week.

thanks for the news about 10.0.0.21 . i just shifted to 64-bit linux (ubuntu 8.10) recently after hearing of flash 64 (and w64codecs, which i was unaware of, and also of the seamless nature of nspluginwrapper and other 32-bit apps). while i was happy with nspluginwrapper, this native plugin is blazing fast to me apparently. coupled with the 64-bit sun java plugin (6u12-b2) and firefox 3.2 trunk (minefield, also 64 bit), browsing is a new experience.

in general, 64-bit linux rocks . (so does 64-bit vista ultimate i heard with 4 gigs of ram, and possibly osx.)

ps : forgot to mention. there may be an issue with memory leaks. i am not sure if it is due to the nvidia-driver 180.16 (its 32-bit compat libs?) or flash, but seems its due to flash. occasionally, if there is a heavy memory leak, may need to close the browser and kill the process ldlinux.so.2.

also, some sluggishness with fullscreen videos. has something to do with mouse cursor movement.

but apart from these two issues, its super .

Quote Originally Posted by hdas View Post
    ps : forgot to mention. there may be an issue with memory leaks. i am not sure if it is due to the nvidia-driver 180.16 (its 32-bit compat libs?) or flash, but seems its due to flash. occasionally, if there is a heavy memory leak, may need to close the browser and kill the process ldlinux.so.2.

also, some sluggishness with fullscreen videos. has something to do with mouse cursor movement.

but apart from these two issues, its super .
    Those memory leaks are from Adobe Reader which isn't 64bit native. My solution was to remove that nasty software with nspluginwrapper, install mozplugger and use FF+evince ;-)

The kde4 users should install qt4 version of the gtk-qt-engine to get native flash to work with konqueror

on debian deinstall
    gtk-qt-engine - theme engine using Qt for GTK+ 2.x

and install
    gtk-qt-engine-kde4 - theme engine using Qt 4 for GTK+ 2.x
    Last edited by czarnyckm; 01-04-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Damn. The Linux version of Flash sucks. Totally. I uploaded an HD video (720p) to YouTube and it plays fine in Windows. In Linux, it drops frames like hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9w1nsClqL4&fmt=22

This chokes like crazy in my Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.33GHz in Linux. Almost unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Damn. The Linux version of Flash sucks.
    Does this really surprise you considering Adobe's history of shitty code in general?

Damn. The Linux version of Flash sucks. Totally. I uploaded an HD video (720p) to YouTube and it plays fine in Windows. In Linux, it drops frames like hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9w1nsClqL4&fmt=22

This chokes like crazy in my Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.33GHz in Linux. Almost unwatchable.
    It works fine here. Have hardware acceleration enabled..?

core 2 duo @ 2.2ghz...

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    It works fine here. Have hardware acceleration enabled..?
    It's enabled. So you say the animation is fluid with no skips? And you're on Flash 10 64-bit?

It's enabled. So you say the animation is fluid with no skips? And you're on Flash 10 64-bit?
    Yeah (File name: libflashplayer.so, Shockwave Flash 10.0 d21, and Buzzword is buggy with the letter 'a' while my 32bit vm can display it fine).

The video is amazing btw, wish I could run the demo on my 'buntu.