Intel Core i7 and X58 experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterIO View Post
    To see if you have MCE enabled, you can go to the boot dir and do "grep MCE config*"(in that dir you should have a file called config-"something") and look for the things I posted on the previous message.
    Thanks! It looks like MCE is enabled:

config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_LIRC_MCEUSB=m
    config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_LIRC_MCEUSB2=m
    config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
    config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_X86_MCE_AMD=y
    config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_X86_MCE_INTEL=y

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
      Thanks! It looks like MCE is enabled:

config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_LIRC_MCEUSB=m
      config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_LIRC_MCEUSB2=m
      config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
      config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_X86_MCE_AMD=y
      config-2.6.27-9-generic:CONFIG_X86_MCE_INTEL=y
      It looks like it was really a bios problem. I updated my bios with the bios taken where you said and now no more MCE get logged.

Comment

I installed a system based on a Gigabyte EX58 deluxe but for some reason, I am not getting eth0 or eth1 to show up in ifconfig. What's odd is that I had it working randomly once but after restarting I no longer have access to LAN. Any ideas?

Comment

Do you use 2.6.27 or 2.6.28 kernel?

Comment

I'm using 2.6.27-9-generic

Comment

Originally posted by JunGL View Post
              I installed a system based on a Gigabyte EX58 deluxe but for some reason, I am not getting eth0 or eth1 to show up in ifconfig. What's odd is that I had it working randomly once but after restarting I no longer have access to LAN. Any ideas?
              I had problems initially with a Gigabyte EX58 UD5. I had installed Ubuntu 8.10 (also upgraded to beta BIOS F4k) and the network was intermittent, freezing unpredictably. Then I "upgraded" the kernel driver for the onboard-ethernet from r8169 to r8168 (yes, I switched to a lower numbered driver), and when I rebooted eth0 did not work at all, but eth1 worked fine. At the time, I did not need two ethernet connections, so I stopped messing with it. But I checked it again the other day, and both eth0 and eth1 are working fine now. I'm not sure what happened in the interim.

Here's a link about the r8168 driver. I did not use his script, though.
              http://www.jamesonwilliams.com/hardy-r8168.html

I downloaded the r8168 driver from Realtek and installed from that:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...DownTypeID=3#2

Comment

On the EX58-UD5, was it the live or alternate CD you installed from?

I've just got a UD5, i7 920 and am getting dropped into busybox with a casper log message of "unable to find a medium containing a live filesystem". I've tried moving the DVD drive to different controllers and popped an IDE drive in to confirm that it isnt a DVD problem (and burnt a couple of images which work fine on other systems).

I was hoping for a nice, easy install from others reports

Oh and happy new year all

Comment

Originally posted by morphemass View Post
                  On the EX58-UD5, was it the live or alternate CD you installed from?

I've just got a UD5, i7 920 and am getting dropped into busybox with a casper log message of "unable to find a medium containing a live filesystem". I've tried moving the DVD drive to different controllers and popped an IDE drive in to confirm that it isnt a DVD problem (and burnt a couple of images which work fine on other systems).
                  I installed from the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop AMD64 CD (aka Live). I have the F4k BIOS on my UD5. I've seen reports the F4 release BIOS is buggy, strangely enough...I'm sticking with F4k.

Did you IDE drive work? I have built a lot of systems in 2008 and they are running together a bit in my mind. Most of the systems I built used Asus MBs and I remember having to use AHCI disk mode on those to get SATA DVD drives to work. I cannot remember what I set the Gigabyte UD5 to, but I vaguely remember trying AHCI first and maybe it didn't work so I switched to IDE? Not certain. I can't reboot now to check.

Did your IDE drive work? What BIOS are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by jwilliams View Post
                    I installed from the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop AMD64 CD (aka Live). I have the F4k BIOS on my UD5. I've seen reports the F4 release BIOS is buggy, strangely enough...I'm sticking with F4k.

Did you IDE drive work? I have built a lot of systems in 2008 and they are running together a bit in my mind. Most of the systems I built used Asus MBs and I remember having to use AHCI disk mode on those to get SATA DVD drives to work. I cannot remember what I set the Gigabyte UD5 to, but I vaguely remember trying AHCI first and maybe it didn't work so I switched to IDE? Not certain. I can't reboot now to check.

Did your IDE drive work? What BIOS are you using?
                    Im going to have to check bios when I'm in work next; probably F3 bios and didn't manage to get the install to work from the IDE DVD drive either. I was trying to install the 32bit version first (need to benchmark it vs the 64bit....primarily doing video encoding/recoding so memory isn't stressed). I'll try switching between AHCI/IDE as well...thanks for the tips

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter View Post
                      The 'W83667HG' is the sensor chip the Asus board has. Your mb probably
                      has a different sensor chip. I am basically using a 'W83627EHF' module
                      for now because it is very similar. 'modprobe w83627ehf force_id=0x8860'.
                      A patch has been added to kernel-2.6.28-rc8 to add support for the
                      w83667hg module. The lm_sensors repo now has a beta version that
                      allows coretemp to be recognized as the Core i7 temp module.
                      Sensors-detect has also been patched to detect w83667hg.
                      http://dl.lm-sensors.org/lm-sensors-3/snapshots/
                      The kernel.org full source of 2.6.28 doesn't include any code for the the W83667HG. Wonder why the patch didn't make it. Maybe it'll turn up in the next release. For now I guess the w83627ehf driver will do.

Comment

Working...
                      X