Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Fedora 10 Cambridge Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,353

    Default Fedora 10 Cambridge Released

    Phoronix: Fedora 10 Cambridge Released

    Following several months in development, Red Hat has just released Fedora 10 (codenamed Cambridge). A number of new Red Hat innovations can be found in this release, such as Plymouth, and there are many updated packages such as those from X.Org and the Linux kernel. In this article are some screenshots from Fedora 10 final along with some of the other features that make up the tenth release of this very popular Linux distribution.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13157

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Salvador - Bahia - Brazil
    Posts
    79

    Default

    That's a downer

    (sigh)

    I had downloaded all pre-release ISOs, and now just booted the released Fedora 10 live CD X86_64 and all of them hanged on boot.

    It don't even get to GDM prompt.

    It shows (kind of blinking) a freeze image of the last booted gnome session, in my case, Ubuntu!

    Go figure!

    Does anyone here knows a workaround to this?

    My Hardware: ATI X1600pro AGP + Gigabyte 8VT880P Combo + 2GB Ram + Dell 24' LCD

    PS: There is absolutely nothing wrong with the media used to burn this images. The very same CD booted without problems on a Dell 1525.
    Last edited by hobbes; 11-25-2008 at 05:01 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    That's a downer

    (sigh)

    I had downloaded all pre-release ISOs, and now just booted the released Fedora 10 live CD X86_64 and all of them hanged on boot.

    It don't even get to GDM prompt.

    It shows (kind of blinking) a freeze image of the last booted gnome session, in my case, Ubuntu!

    Go figure!

    Does anyone here knows a workaround to this?

    My Hardware: ATI X1600pro AGP + Gigabyte 8VT880P Combo + 2GB Ram + Dell 24' LCD

    PS: There is absolutely nothing wrong with the media used to burn this images. The very same CD booted without problems on a Dell 1525.
    Might be a bug with kms, try t boot with the "nomodeset" option. Also, I see a lot of work going on in kernel and xorg builds about kms on ATI cards, so expects updates very soon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    I'm kind of surprised to learn that Fedora will just be adding delta rpms support in 11. Other distro's have had this capability for a few years now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Salvador - Bahia - Brazil
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Might be a bug with kms, try t boot with the "nomodeset" option. Also, I see a lot of work going on in kernel and xorg builds about kms on ATI cards, so expects updates very soon.
    It worked. Thank you!

    Just typing right now from the Live CD. It fells fast.

    I am thinking on give it a spin.

    If I install using the nomodest option, the next boot after complete installation. KMS will be disabled?

  6. #6

    Default

    What about boot time? Does Fedora 10 start faster then previous versions?

    EDIT:

    Is there easy way to install KDE 4.3 in Fedora?
    Last edited by kraftman; 11-25-2008 at 05:43 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    I think Dave was still having problems with some AGP hardware. Might be more related to the extra bus traffic from the new memory manager rather than to kernel modesetting itself.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
    It worked. Thank you!

    Just typing right now from the Live CD. It fells fast.

    I am thinking on give it a spin.

    If I install using the nomodest option, the next boot after complete installation. KMS will be disabled?
    This I frankly don't know, anyway you can add it both from the grub initial screen, or modifying /boot/grub/grub.conf

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    What about boot time? Does Fedora 10 start faster then previous versions?

    EDIT:

    Is there easy way to install KDE 4.3 in Fedora?
    Yes, Fedora 10 is considerably faster than 9 regarding boot time, at least in my early experience, too bad as I have an nvidia card, I'm limited to the text plugin with plymouth.

    Kde 4.3? That's due to be released in June 2009, maybe you meant 4.1.3? Fedora 10 ships with 4.1.2, 4.1.3 will come soon as an automatical update.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    Yes, Fedora 10 is considerably faster than 9 regarding boot time, at least in my early experience, too bad as I have an nvidia card, I'm limited to the text plugin with plymouth.

    Kde 4.3? That's due to be released in June 2009, maybe you meant 4.1.3? Fedora 10 ships with 4.1.2, 4.1.3 will come soon as an automatical update.
    Good to hear that. I have Nvidia card too :/. Sorry, I meant KDE 4.1.3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •