Thread: The KMS, Plymouth Experience In Fedora 10

Default The KMS, Plymouth Experience In Fedora 10

Phoronix: The KMS, Plymouth Experience In Fedora 10

Fedora generally lives on the bleeding-edge of free software packages -- especially when it comes to the Linux kernel and X.Org -- and with yesterday's release of Fedora 10 Cambridge this is no different. Fedora 9 was the first of the major distributions to integrate any level of kernel mode-setting support (A Preview of Kernel-based Mode-Setting) and this support has been well-extended in this latest Red Hat release. Fedora 10 includes a kernel mode-setting driver for ATI Radeon graphics cards (primarily the R500 series) and there are other KMS improvements too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg3Nw

I like bleeding-edge video.. But is it good for Desktop?.

Fedora 10's KDM looks much better than GDM.

OMG, did I just spend 1 minute of my life watching some guy boot his laptop!?!

When it's done, the sun thing jumps to fill a third of the screen without any kind of real transition. It'd be more polished if it stayed where it was and the login dialog quickly faded in.

it does not seem to work for me on d954gclf2 integrated mainboard.
    i only get a text-mode screen with white progress bar on the bottom, unless i am missing something

(it's my 1st time trying out fedora, that might explain some things ;-) ).

@yoshi314: I think KMS was disabled for Intel graphics, but there is a certain vga= number which will let you use plymouth withouth KMS. Unfortunateley I don't remember the number.

Quote Originally Posted by fat_chris View Post
    @yoshi314: I think KMS was disabled for Intel graphics, but there is a certain vga= number which will let you use plymouth withouth KMS. Unfortunateley I don't remember the number.
    hmm it seems strange that it would be disabled for intel.

oh well, nevermind, i'm already reinstalling arch linux on that box - the only semi-user-friendly linux distro that doesn't have issues with built-in r8168 network chip on that mainboard :/

not really strange, the intel code wasn't rebased on GEM in time.

We'll be doing an update for F10 hopefully to allow it to be enabled by the user fully.

the vga=0x line only provides some of the benefits, you don't get the smooth transitions or flicker free bits.