Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.2 Beta 1 Desktop Released

Hybrid View

Default KDE 4.2 Beta 1 Desktop Released

Phoronix: KDE 4.2 Beta 1 Desktop Released

The KDE development community has banded together and today released an early Christmas present to those using the K Desktop Environment on Linux and other operating systems. The first beta release of KDE 4.2 is now available. KDE 4.2 Beta 1 features a large number of improvements since the release of KDE 4.1 in July.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13166

OOH-- I may seem shallow, but that desktop background thing is what I'm looking for in a DE.
    Make it able to do screensavers, videos, and arbitrary application windows OOTB and come 9.04, you've got yourself an addict.

Hey.

They're getting tricky now. Is KDE 4.2 Beta 1 allowed to end-user usage or no?

It is a test version, so I don't think it's made for end-users

I am installing KDE 4.2 Beta 1 atm, looks nice.

I've been exploring this beta for about an hour and so far I like it a lot. A giant step forward from KDE 4.1. KDE developers are bringing in some cool features. This beta is not yet for end-use, but if you can developers would definitely be very grateful if you could test it and report bugs so they can polish it even more. When the final version gets out it will rock. Can't wait to see the new series of Linux distros that will come with this version of KDE.

I just tried the LiveCD and it did little but crash, just like Kubuntu 8.10, albeit a little more gracefully, if that's possible.

Still looking forward to 9.04 though, hopefully it'll work better..

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    I just tried the LiveCD and it did little but crash, just like Kubuntu 8.10, albeit a little more gracefully, if that's possible.

Still looking forward to 9.04 though, hopefully it'll work better..
    Isn't the live cd based on suse packages? I'm using them now and I find them to be really surprisingly stable. If you install suse then add the unstable kde repo then it probably will work nicely. Do it in a vm if you don't want any risks

I am loving the themed kickoff menu and the new settings for the panel and desktop. The only feature from KDE 3 that I can think of which is missing is the ability to individually change the wallpapers of each virtual desktop.

I am glad they added more compiz plugins like the cube. I doubt many kde users will be downloading compiz anymore, since it has been so nicely integrated.

With the Jaunty packages I have noticed a few glitches regarding that button on the top right of the desktop, and I have noticed some problems with plasma. Nothing major, but I certainly recommend keeping it inside a virtual machine at least until the release candidate.

Now if only I could get DRI2 compiled...

Heh that desktop background thing is certainly nothing new. X has always been able to support applications as backgrounds, it's just that the DEs haven't allowed you to configure it. It's nothing special when you think about it, just an "always on bottom" application that you can't click on.

KDE 4.2 rocks KDE 4.2 with desktop effects rocks ^ 2