Thread: Ubuntu Packages Get Bazaar-ed

Default Ubuntu Packages Get Bazaar-ed

Phoronix: Ubuntu Packages Get Bazaar-ed

One of the planned development changes for Ubuntu 9.04 (the Jaunty Jackalope) is transitioning all Ubuntu source packages to having their own Bazaar repositories. From there, anyone can then clone these source-code repositories and do whatever they wish. For now the Bazaar repositories for most of the Ubuntu source packages are being housed at package-import.ubuntu.com, but with time they will be integrating these services with Launchpad and will be introducing several new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg4MA

Default Not grasping

What kind of interesting developments or projects could this lead to?

I'm not bridging the gap between the ubuntu source packages and how this will make a difference in my head.

It'll make the process of patching a package easier, I think.

atm, if you want to patch, you need to get the source of the package (via launchpad, packages.ubuntu.com, or some apt command that nobody really knows), make the patch, then make a .diff, upload the diff to launchpad.net.

but this way you could use bzr to branch a package, make your changes, and then propose your branch for merging.

makes sense as ubuntu is promoting the use of bzr too.

This should make the lives of the package maintainers much easier. It will also (hopefully) facilitate contributions by people who are not running ubuntu - much easier to create a bazaar branch, modify and diff than hunt for the upstream repo, add the ubuntu patches, modify and diff.

Sounds like someone haven't seen Linus' talk about git

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

I don't wish to start a flame war here, but that talk is rather unconvincing. Linus does a good job of bashing centralized vcs, but gives no reasons as to why git is better than bazaar or mercurial.

This page, however, gives several reasons to choose bazaar over git.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    I don't wish to start a flame war here, but that talk is rather unconvincing. Linus does a good job of bashing centralized vcs, but gives no reasons as to why git is better than bazaar or mercurial.
    At 10:50 does he in fact. it boils down to

* distributed
    * performance
    * integrity

If you watch the video from there, most of the bashing is over, and he explains why these 3 issues are so important.

It is actually very interesting with the performance part. He have the exact same reason Google have for making Java Script fast in Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    This page, however, gives several reasons to choose bazaar over git.
    That's a great link! I didn't knew that Bazaar had these advantages.

But with anything. Which is best: Blue or Red? It's a matter of what ones needs are, and I now realizes that is the same for bzr and git.