Thread: What is xcb? Its adoption?

Default What is xcb? Its adoption?

Hi,

i often read about xcb, the xlib's successor. but i simply can't understand its function. i don't get it. furthermore, are there already programs using it (seems like toolkits such as qt, gtk+ and cairo??)? what is its advantage? is it already in the xserver? or is it just planed that in a long distant future, xcb is going to make xlib obsolete?
    can someone explain me it? thanks...
    edit: http://www.linuxshowcase.org/2001/fu...sey/massey.pdf this all sounds great but doesn't help. and what's about its current status? already part of xorg?
    Last edited by Regenwald; 11-27-2008 at 02:18 PM.

I can't answer all of your questions, but here's a brief rundown of what I know about XCB:

It's designed to provide a simpler, lower-level api without all of the automatic caching and other extras of xlib, which are intended to improve performance, but often end up increasing latency.

A lot of frameworks (e.g. cairo) are making efforts to combine their xlib and xcb backends, basically making the xcb backend a super-set of the xlib backend, so that the xcb backend basically rests as a layer of code between the xlib backend and the xcb library (I think I understood that correctly).

It definitely is available with xorg, but I don't know if every distro builds with it. In Gentoo it's selected with a USE flag.

BTW compiz-fusion runs like crap without it, so my guess is that most distribusions have it.

It can be used in multithreading apps, with xlib you have to have only one drawing thread. And the latest version of xcb depends on Python (yuck)

I great deal of people are using it because of compiz.

i read that there are several window managers which use xcb instead of xlib. therefore, they seem to be really fast. gtk+ 3.0 and qt should really use it :/

They do use it if X itself is compiled against xcb :/