Thread: No working sound in Debian Lenny - need help.

Default No working sound in Debian Lenny - need help.

Yesterday and today I have been sitting with Debian Lenny and right now I still have no working sound in this Debian Lenny system. The sound has been detected and can be used by different applications, but I get no sound out in the speakers.

At the present I have tried everything I can think of, but still.. No sound. (I've tried AlsaConf and AlsaMixer....)
    Any suggestions? Should I post the output from the dmesg tool?

Default Could be a permissions issue.

Quote Originally Posted by khelben1979 View Post
    Yesterday and today I have been sitting with Debian Lenny and right now I still have no working sound in this Debian Lenny system. The sound has been detected and can be used by different applications, but I get no sound out in the speakers.

At the present I have tried everything I can think of, but still.. No sound. (I've tried AlsaConf and AlsaMixer....)
    Any suggestions? Should I post the output from the dmesg tool?
    Does your sound work if you run a sound app as root?
    If so, add yourself to the 'audio' group and you should be set.

Alsamixer is a tough beast; sometimes you won't get sound for the weirdest of reasons (having, say, line unmuted, or some weirdly named input/output muted). If you play with it long enough, you're bound to find a working conf.

I solved the problem.

Each time the updater program changes the kernel to a new one (small update) the ALSA sound system becomes unusable. And to solve the problem I just compiled up the source of the ALSA sound system and everything worked again.

I need to do this everytime a new kernel gets into the system. This doesn't feel very high tech to me to be forced to do this on an Debian system today 2008, but I haven't found any other solution to this problem.

Are you running etch or lenny?

I'm using Etch myself. Waiting until Lenny is finished before I'm going for the upgrade.

Lenny was installed on my brothers laptop. He's got a much more modern laptop then I have, so Etch wasn't a good choice for him.

Just install a newer kernel, that has usually a newer alsa. Just compare:

cat /proc/asound/version