Alright, here's the procedure from start to finish:
Originally Posted by bridgman
1) Install openSUSE 11.0 x64 with a Gnome Live CD
2) added Main Repository OSS and NON-OSS, Updates, and Packman (shouldn't make a difference, right?)
3) Updated system using YaST
4) Downloaded the Catalyst 8.11 driver
5) ran the installer:
--- I attempted to generate an openSUSE 11.0 package, but it just silently failed, but reported success.
--- I then used the automatic install feature. It finished and reported success.
Package build failed!
[Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE110-AMD64
6) I ran 'aticonfig --initial'
7) When I rebooted my machine, X crashed with the following output:
Let me know if you need anymore information.