Thread: The Next OpenSolaris Release Is 2009.04

Default The Next OpenSolaris Release Is 2009.04

Phoronix: The Next OpenSolaris Release Is 2009.04

While OpenSolaris 2008.11 has been available for download for over a week now, Sun Microsystems hasn't officially announced its existence. Sun though will be announcing it this morning at what will be a 9AM PST web-launch...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkyMA

let's see if this new release finally supports my realtek gigabit ethernet card..

"OpenSolaris 2009.04 may finally ship with a word processor
    by default"

WORD PROCESSOR?!? Who gives a rat's tail about a word processor? I recommend you Upgrade to "Solaris Express Community Edition". It doesn't have the training wheels of Opensolaris 11.2008. There's only so much you can fit on an 700MB opensolaris .iso, But SXCE is a nice full fat 1.5GB so you get Staroffice and all that creamy bundled application goodness.

------------------------------

"Teacher, I so wanted to write my term paper, but my Linux distro doesn't have a word processor, and substituting "pkg install" for "apt-get install" is too hard for my little brain".

"Have you tried /usr/bin/vi?"

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    let's see if this new release finally supports my realtek gigabit ethernet card..
    try this hack: http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...ssageID=309594

else fork over the $32 to newegg for a Intel gigabit PCI NIC like the rest of us do. It's human nature, we all spend the $$ for a highend video card, but nobody likes to buy a NIC. It's just *so wrong*.

thanks for that tip, I'll bookmark the page and use it when I give opensolaris another try.

However, I won't buy a new card because it works on Windows and Linux so I don't see reasons to buy a new one. but as said, thanks for the link I'll try that solution very soon