Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 58

Thread: Prey Linux Retail Client Released

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,408

    Default Prey Linux Retail Client Released

    Phoronix: Prey Linux Retail Client Released

    Back in October Ryan Gordon surprised the Linux community by releasing a Linux game demo of Prey two-years after the game began shipping on Windows. He was contracted to port the Prey server to Linux but this was the first time we were seeing any client...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjkxMA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    678

    Default

    I guess I'll go out and buy a windows box of the game O.o

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    I guess I'll go out and buy a windows box of the game O.o
    No! Wait for release on tuxgames.com.
    We have to support linux games. It costs exactly like windows version here in Slovakia

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Finland / Hong Kong
    Posts
    2

    Default

    This is very nice, Prey is a great game.

    But as a heads up, the Steam CD-key does not work with the Linux version. (atleast for me).. . So even if you can use the data files from the Steam install, you still need a boxed version for the key.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crbz View Post
    This is very nice, Prey is a great game.

    But as a heads up, the Steam CD-key does not work with the Linux version. (atleast for me).. . So even if you can use the data files from the Steam install, you still need a boxed version for the key.
    I don't think the ones in the box are different, since you can buy a boxed version and enter your cd key in Steam to gain the copy digitally.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default Steam CD key for Prey

    Quote Originally Posted by Crbz View Post
    But as a heads up, the Steam CD-key does not work with the Linux version. (atleast for me).. . So even if you can use the data files from the Steam install, you still need a boxed version for the key.
    How do you identify your Steam version's "CD key"? I can't find it anywhere. I think I made the same mistake you did, and made it a purchase via Steam and downloaded it.

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skkayman View Post
    No! Wait for release on tuxgames.com.
    We have to support linux games. It costs exactly like windows version here in Slovakia
    Why would I pay 4 times more for basicly the same thing (oh yay a burnt cd with the native linux binaries!). I want to support tuxgames but seriously things like that just get on my nerves.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    Why would I pay 4 times more for basicly the same thing (oh yay a burnt cd with the native linux binaries!). I want to support tuxgames but seriously things like that just get on my nerves.
    Unless you're going to be able to obtain a Windows 3-CD set or the DVD edition (as Ryan indicates...), you may have to buy it that way. It's in bargain bins in a few places and in a few of the used places at this time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Unless you're going to be able to obtain a Windows 3-CD set or the DVD edition (as Ryan indicates...), you may have to buy it that way. It's in bargain bins in a few places and in a few of the used places at this time.
    I didn't find it in any bargin bins when I looked around after the initial annoucement but I did find it on amazon for 5... compared to 22... I think I know which one I'll be picking up.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bratislava, Slovakia, Europe
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aradreth View Post
    Why would I pay 4 times more for basicly the same thing (oh yay a burnt cd with the native linux binaries!). I want to support tuxgames but seriously things like that just get on my nerves.
    As I said, for me, it costs the same here in Slovakia.. 15$ on tuxgames.com is ~350sk (slovak krown), local shop with windows release has price 300Sk. 5 from amazon is 200Sk - that's two beers difference (and amazon won't sell anything than books, movies and music to Slovakia..).

    and why even if it costs more? to show that linux games are wanted! the big CEO's and managers of hug companies do not look at these forums and counting how many linux users buy windows version of their game to use with linux binary. They just look at how many linux boxes was sold? And that's the problem..
    We have to buy linux games if we want more of them
    Last edited by skkayman; 12-09-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •