Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

Default AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 8.12 Linux Driver

This afternoon AMD has released its final Catalyst Linux driver update for the year. It has been a couple months now since there has been anything exciting in one of these Linux driver updates, but what's there in store this time around? Is there X-Video Bitstream Acceleration finally available? Sadly, no. But there is improved video playback support in a composited environment and Hybrid CrossFire support.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13231

Default Ah! so glad to be free of the closed source nastiness

I just wanted to say how wonderfully pleased I am with the Radeon driver shipped with Intrepid. No flicker, reliable suspend, compiz goodness - wonderful! No longer do I wait with baited breath for ATI driver 8.(n+1).

I feel truly sorry for all those people that have a card unsupported by the open driver.

This is good news to me at least.
    Baby steps, baby steps.

One day I will be able to recommend ATI for Linux. For now, I can't recommend much when it comes to graphics. Although my Geforce 6600 works wonderfully well, it falls short on horsepower. I'm really hoping to make my Phenom w/ 4850 my primary system, once it will work adequately that is.

Well, the new driver doesn't bring any fixes for me ;/ its even worse, now i can't even get my GPU temps cause im getting :
    Code:
    ERROR - Could not find library: libatiadlxx.so
    although it is located in /usr/lib/

in changelog:
    "Executing 'Glxgears' may cause the operating system to stop responding"
    and lower:

ok this is another LOL FGLRX release, now I understand even more what code is inside fglrx.... I'm sure one day it will destroy my GPU XD

Sadly, another release that sucks.

Wow, that's cool: 8.11 was such a great release that there is no _need_ for me to upgrade to 8.12 anymore...
    If you look back how the situation was a year ago when every release was like a christmas present, that's quite a strange feeling ;D

Apart from that, I still think it sucks that the download gets bigger with each release (77 MB ftw?), where does that all come from?

And btw... flickerfree video? Does ATI start to reimplement the graphics stack now, too? ... No objections against that actually, as long as they find a way to implement KMS

Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    in changelog:
    and lower:

ok this is another LOL FGLRX release, now I understand even more what code is inside fglrx.... I'm sure one day it will destroy my GPU XD
    are you unable to read? A bit blind?
    The 'glxgears may cause...' is under RESOLVED ISSUES

before you start ripping AMD, rip your teachers for not teaching you.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Sadly, another release that sucks.
    Yeap, I'll make a bet right now. In one year from today, the ati official driver, will suck. I feel pretty confident about that.

Quote Originally Posted by heng View Post
    I feel truly sorry for all those people that have a card unsupported by the open driver.
    Thnk you. I appreciate that.