Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VirtualBox Gets OpenGL Acceleration Support

I just think it's amazing that it's accelerated at all rather than some sort of emulator running on the CPU. A giant step forward!

Definitely good stuff and I sure hope there will be the day I can dump my native XP install for good and run Windows entirely in a VM. That would reduce the worry and hassles of reinstalling in the case of when the XP VM catches a virus or malware. Just reload a virgin copy of your install and presto! Clean Windows again.

Nice work Sun

Hope Sun keeps up the momentum on 3d support inside VBOX

I managed to install it on Ubuntu 8.10, I could get HL1 working just fine, using the -opengl command line, performance was pretty good!

I cannot however get wow working using the same switch, I suspect that there is some unsupported opengl extension, which means that it tries to fallback to d3d rendering which won't work.

It looks very promising for Opengl gaming hover, once they add some more support for it :>

Quote Originally Posted by duncan_nz View Post
    I managed to install it on Ubuntu 8.10, I could get HL1 working just fine, using the -opengl command line, performance was pretty good!

I cannot however get wow working using the same switch, I suspect that there is some unsupported opengl extension, which means that it tries to fallback to d3d rendering which won't work.

It looks very promising for Opengl gaming hover, once they add some more support for it :>
    The OpenGL support is not yet complete, apparently..filing a bug report should help the devs improve the OGL support. D3d should be following as well

Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    The OpenGL support is not yet complete, apparently..filing a bug report should help the devs improve the OGL support. D3d should be following as well
    Yes I posted a forum thread, some else has already filed a bug report and it has been seen already etc

This is great! Good work SUN, and hope lots of people buys VB licenses so SUN earn money on this!

What OpenGL API are they aiming for? 2.0?