Thread: xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 Release Candidate

Default xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 Release Candidate

Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 Release Candidate

It's been nearly six months since xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 was released, but we're finally nearing a new version of this open-source ATI driver. David Airlie has announced the release of the first xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 release candidate. Presented in the first xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 release candidate (v6.9.0.91) are several new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njk1MQ

Default This is the same driver that behaves so badly with Fedora 9 and a Radeon 9550!

I tried this driver this morning and it made my Xorg process spin uselessly on a CPU when I tried to login. This might have been due to

Code:
    Option "EXAVSync" "on"
    (I can recheck.)

For reference, I am running Fedora 9 with a vanilla 2.6.27.10 kernel on a dual P4 Xeon machine with HT enabled and with 2 GB RAM.

And yes, I can use this driver successfully provided EXAVSync is "off". So there's obviously still a problem with vsync and Radeon 9550s.
    Last edited by chrisr; 12-22-2008 at 09:38 PM.

i wonder whether my bug ( http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18911 ) will get resolved in time for 6.9.1. i'm often having mysterious problems with opensource ati driver between releases.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: xf86-video-ati 6.9.1 Release Candidate
    Why 6.9.1 and not 6.10.0?

error when i compile latest driver:

In file included from /usr/include/X11/dri/xf86dri.h:43,
    from /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:41,
    from radeon.h:75,
    from radeon_accel.c:79:
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:40:17: error: drm.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /usr/include/X11/dri/xf86dri.h:43,
    from /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:41,
    from radeon.h:75,
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:241: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘drm_context_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:254: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:515: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_magic_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:519: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:521: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:539: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_magic_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:541: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:545: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:546: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:547: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_context_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:548: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:554: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_context_t’
    /usr/include/xf86drm.h:555: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_context_t’
    In file included from radeon.h:75,
    /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:128: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_context_t’
    /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:132: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_context_t’
    /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:195: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘drm_handle_t’
    /usr/include/xorg/dri.h:219: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘drm_handle_t’

I'm not using something that not work good, like 'freezy' EXAVSync for now, i just tried and reverted... Really, as today i get rid of EXA also, and use old, good and stable XAA, which is only little slower in some areas. And driver works good, really good. What i only must put in Section "Device" is Option "AGPMode" "4".

@biasquez

Install 'libdrm-dev'.

P.S. And Happy New Year to anyone envolved in radeon driver developing , with best wishes for EXA this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    I'm not using something that not work good, like 'freezy' EXAVSync for now, i just tried and reverted... Really, as today i get rid of EXA also, and use old, good and stable XAA, which is only little slower in some areas. And driver works good, really good. What i only must put in Section "Device" is Option "AGPMode" "4".

@biasquez

Install 'libdrm-dev'.

P.S. And Happy New Year to anyone envolved in radeon driver developing , with best wishes for EXA this time next year.

libdrm-dev already installed...but reinstalling it, problem was fixed, thanks

I'm having a problem with 6.9.0.91 in conjunction with the latest xorg, mesa and drm builds from the xorg-edgers archive. Radeon driver build is from Tormod Volden's PPA, which "should" be compatible with the xorg-edgers packages.

This is on an X1550 PCIe card (R500) on Ubuntu Intrepid.

Installed relevant packages:

xorg-server - 2:1.5.3+git20081216+server-1.5-branch.4970d757-0ubuntu0tormod1
    drm-snapshot - 2.4.3+git20081216.c86d431f-0ubuntu0tormod1~intrepid
    mesa - 7.2+git20081202+mesa-7-2-branch.3433a188-0ubuntu0tormod4
    xserver-xorg-video-ati - 6.9.0.91+git20081224.631123d1-0ubuntu0tormod
    xserver-xorg-video-radeon - 6.9.0.91+git20081224.631123d1-0ubuntu0tormod

XAA works very well, though is somewhat slow. Switching to EXA (no other options) causes X to crash on boot. The system will load, X will launch, the desktop comes up, toolbars render, and then X crashes right when it would normally finish drawing desktop icons.

Has anyone else run into this? Or am I just too wackily bleeding-edge and it could be anything?

I'm going to try with a completely fresh default install of Intrepid and just update the driver to the new flavor, and see if that makes a difference.