Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Benchmarks

Default Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Benchmarks

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.28 Kernel Benchmarks

The Linux 2.6.28 kernel was released this past week in time for the holidays. This quarterly update to the Linux kernel brought the stabilization of the EXT4 file-system, the Graphics Execution Manager, a host of new drivers, and a variety of other updates. For some weekend benchmarking we had tested the latest Linux 2.6.28 kernel along with other recent kernels using the Phoronix Test Suite.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13315

Wow, now that was a pointless series of benchmarks...

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    If there had been some kind of serious performance regression that they caught, I don't think you'd be saying that. Just because it wasn't particularly fascinating doesn't mean it was pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    I couldn't agree more.

Default It's NOT pointless

I agree with ethana2. These benchmarks are proof the kernel guys are not introducing regressions..

Or proof that they're not improving, if your glass is half-empty...

Registered just to post this:

FPS in wine dropped sharply with 2.6.28, making it almost unplayable. I reverted back to 2.6.27.10 for now. All I play is hl1 based mods, so you might want to try benchmarking those.

Also I noticed that sound messed up every one in a while while watching videos. A quick pause/play fixed it though.

Quote Originally Posted by alexforcefive View Post
    Or proof that they're not improving, if your glass is half-empty...
    Nope, it just can't be better :P

@hybrid-kernel

It's wine problem. Maybe you'll have to tune Linux scheduller especially for wine to have better experience in games. It's mentioned at wine forum.
    Last edited by kraftman; 12-28-2008 at 05:26 PM.

I really like what you are doing here, by carefully benchmarking every kernel and whatsoever, but I think the data could be presented better.
    Right now there is 2-3 pictures per page with a few paragraphs of text spanning over 6 pages, not mentioning that the graphs don't show anything that really needs graphs. It's frustrating to keep going over every page just to see something that could be summed up with 1 or 2 sentences.
    Perhaps you could make the graphs more compact in the future, because now they take up too much space and are bulky. Also, I think it is safe to allow more information per page, because now there's atleast half of the page height still empty white, unused.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoho View Post
    Also, I think it is safe to allow more information per page, because now there's atleast half of the page height still empty white, unused.
    Off topic, but...

More
    [next page]
    advertisement
    [next page]
    views
    [next page]
    per
    [next page]
    article.

Nothing new here. Not the first nor the last to do it.