Thread: driver options

Default driver options

I would like to know what driver options can I use to improve perfomance on my cards. I have an HD2600XT at home, at office a 200M IGP. What I mostly do is game development with Ogre and I probably will stress my HD2600 when my project advances a bit. Can somebody suggest me something?

Which functionality are you trying to speed up ? 2D, 3D, video... ?

Mostly 3d (although not at the cost of making Xorg unstable). Anything else I can speed up without sacrificying 3d perfomance would be a welcome plus.

Are you running the fglrx driver (downloaded from ati.amd.com) ?

EDIT - if you are (using fglrx) then the performance should already be pretty close to parity with Windows. If you are using fglrx, are there any specific 3D functions you are having performance issues with ?

Note that if you are running relatively simple code with trivial or no shaders the 2600 won't seem all that fast, since it is only a a 4-pipe chip (processes 4 pixels at a time normally). It does have a fair amount of shading horsepower though (24 x 5-ALU shaders) so if you are running code with relatively more shader load you will probably see better results.
    Last edited by bridgman; 12-28-2008 at 08:01 PM.

"AMD/ATI Linux Technical support and discussion of the ATI/AMD proprietary Linux driver."

Assuming that nobody has *ever* started a thread in the wrong forum before

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Which functionality are you trying to speed up ? 2D, 3D, video... ?
    Bridgman, are there any settings that can be tweaked to bring stability to user switching in Ubuntu using the Fast User Switch agent in Gnome? After switching users once or twice, my computer will lock up with fglrx. Works fine with radeonhd, but alas, then I get no 3d accel with my new 4670 card!