Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Qt 4 port

Default Firefox Qt 4 port

For those who missed it:

http://browser.garage.maemo.org/news/

I hope we can get rid of Gtk in Firefox at some point. I'll give the port a shot and see how it fares.

I doubt it, seeing as the last update to their repository was in august and nobody said nothing 'bout it since.

I hope also a stable QtFirefox, maybe in FF 3.1...

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    For those who missed it:

http://browser.garage.maemo.org/news/

I hope we can get rid of Gtk in Firefox at some point. I'll give the port a shot and see how it fares.
    That's great news. I want to get rid of gtk from my entire system. As far as I know it's second attempt to port Firefox to QT. I hope this time it will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    I doubt it, seeing as the last update to their repository was in august and nobody said nothing 'bout it since.
    I think the patches got merged upstream. cairo-qt is in official mozilla repo now.

*bump*

So anyone knows what's the status of it now ?

Actually, there is no Gtk in Firefox. The user interface is made up on XUL and was just optimized to blend in with Gtk-widgets. I'd say this can be done with Qt too, but as Firefox has had the possibility to be themed since the first Phoenix-builds in ~2003 I don't consider the UI a show-stopper for everyone using Qt/KDE.

Then tell me why gtk2 themes can be used with Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Huenengrab View Post
    Actually, there is no Gtk in Firefox. The user interface is made up on XUL and was just optimized to blend in with Gtk-widgets. I'd say this can be done with Qt too, but as Firefox has had the possibility to be themed since the first Phoenix-builds in ~2003 I don't consider the UI a show-stopper for everyone using Qt/KDE.
    I'm sorry but this is wrong. Firefox doesn't look like GTK+, it uses GTK+. Remember that one of the release highlights with 3.0 was the usage of native GTK+ widgets on webpages too (like input boxes and buttons), instead of only on the menu, configuration pages, toolbars, etc.

That said, yeah I would just love a Qt port, especially since google chrome decided to go GTK+ too, and opera is still stuck with qt3, so not much remains of qt 4 browsers (konqueror, arora and rekonq are all that comes to mind, and those unfortunately are still not up to par).
    Last edited by [Knuckles]; 06-09-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Typo

if firefox can use qt4 UI widgets then that's great...would definitely fit in with KDE